which web editor to buy.

Aguy 02:17 05 May 2005

along with buying a new pc i want to buy a new editor ive been using first page which is ok and cheap but i want something with more features etc. Im not sure which to choose from dreamweaver mx frontpage or netobjectsfusion.. people with experience of these editors which one would you reccomend cheers

Diodorus Siculus 08:45 05 May 2005

Try a few demonstration versions first of all. Many come on cover disks.

PurplePenny 22:53 05 May 2005

Nvu is free click here and claims to rival Frontpage and Dreamweaver

Net Objects Fusion was free on the PC Advisor cover disk a couple of months ago.

pmorff 00:08 06 May 2005

If price is no obligation and you have the patience to get to grips with Dreamweaver then dreamweaver is for you. Macromedia have a downloadable 30 day trial version which should give you an idea of how it works. Do get yourself a basic manual. Try the Dorley and Kindsley Dreamweaver manual, it is only a fiver.
As you are only just starting out you could consider buying Dreamweaver 3 or 4, or maybe Dreamweaver ultradrive. The later was the predessor of Dreamweaver MX.

Dreamweaver 3 or 4 come up for sale on E bay quite frequently and 4 comes with with MX as a dual package, Dreamweaver 4 is still considered very good software.

If you want to use Frontpage go for the latest version as it will have the most features.
Frontpage is easier for the novice to use but if you want to go further you will be pushed and will have to resort to handcoding some of the tags where as Dreamweaver has the more sophisticated tags incorporated into the software including XHTML or dynamic HTML.

Other alternatives you could consider is Namo webeditor which is on either version 6 or 7. This software is very similar to Frontpage.

Personally I would recommend Dreamweaver, mainly for ease of use. You do not have to keep opening menus like you do with Frontpage to access information. A lot of the webpage information is displayed in floating panels and the properties panel. The code is clean and easier to read where as Frontpage can look messy with the extra code inserted by microsoft.
Last but not least Dreamweaver will open up any HTML code produced in any other web design software.

barryoneoff.co.uk 02:09 06 May 2005

take purple pennys advice and go for the freebie. The upgrade is an absolute rip off, and I am an NOF fan!

Pesala 09:26 06 May 2005

You can buy any back issue for £6 as long as they are still in stock. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?