Which way to go?

Aristocatman 14:42 18 Mar 2007

Having got my new Asrock Mobo up & running all be it with a MAC problem needless to say my Windows XP pro on my hard drive didn't want to know. My version is about 4 years old so my CD has no SP's etc I tried a repair no good so reluctantly went for a reinstall. about 3/4 thro' the install windows informed me that it couldn't copy some of the files from the disk. I browsed the disk could see the files but the installer stedfastly refused to copy them needless to say the reinstall didn't work, looks like my old disk is corrupted.
So which way to go get a new XPPro SP2 disk or get Vista - which version premium, ultimate OEM Retail (huge price difference??!) Board is Asrock 4core dual-VSTA processor Core 2 duo 6300.

lotvic 19:49 18 Mar 2007

have you tried borrowing a XP CD to install from? Just use your own product key to install it. Make sure that the CD is the same product type as yours, XP Pro or your key won't work.

for info on Vista click here

Aristocatman 20:08 18 Mar 2007

Thanks lotvic I didn't mention it but yes I did try another disk I've got a very up to date one & it allowed a lot more files to copy but not all. I then used it for a full install & tried to use my old key but it didn't like it at all. I used it for a full install to check that it would work OK - I've had some mobo problems & wanted to be sure that I could get XP Pro up & working - But of course I can't register it as it's already registered. I even tried the key change procedure click here but it wasn't having that! so I think it's a new O/S hence the original question

woodchip 20:12 18 Mar 2007

You need to clear the Hard Drive before Installing, with click here

woodchip 20:13 18 Mar 2007

It should work with your CD, it cannot be corrupt. But if damaged it will not read it

Aristocatman 20:27 18 Mar 2007

I notice on eBay a number of new sealed XP Pro CD's on offer with 'No COA & No CD key' are these useable, can you recover the key from the disk?

Aristocatman 20:35 18 Mar 2007

Wow that killdisk is a bit serious! problem is the disk has a lot of files on it I want to keep. I suppose I could use the 30 day unregistered period to transfer the files to the second drive then kill the disk I would have to dig out my usb floppy to run the software if I read the preamble you need to run it from a floppy(haven't used one for years!)

crosstrainer 20:38 18 Mar 2007

If your using an oem copy new or old, xp will bleat like mad...sad to say this, but you may need anew copy (as in a new one) You could try phoning MS robot person and say your mobo had died, I'ts worked for other

Format all Hdd's and then try clean install, if you get as far s reg. use freephone number to plead!

Aristocatman 20:39 18 Mar 2007

I think my old XP pro CD is damaged it doesn't look too great bin kicking around too many years a bit unloved!

lotvic 20:42 18 Mar 2007

have a look at the setupp.ini on your pc to check that you have got the right sort of XP for YOUR product key to be accepted click here

woodchip 20:42 18 Mar 2007

You can download the free version of killdisk, no limits. Yes you need to save all your file to another disc. Yes the XP cd should work with your key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?