Which video card for Dell Dimension 2400 (PCI)

eppu* 20:05 17 Dec 2006

My son's computer (Dell Dimension 2400) has integrated Intel 3D graphic card, which is not good for gaming. In this moment I am unable to get him new computer with PCI-express slot, and therefore would like to upgrade his current video-card. PCI cards seems to be very difficult to find (some available in ebay)and could only find few cards, but since I don't understand much about computers, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys...
Which one of these cards would you recommend:
Nvidia GeForce FX500 PCI 256MB , Nvidia Verto GeForce 6200 PCI 256MB or ATI Radeon 9250 256MB PCI?
And are all these cards compatible with Dell computers??
Thanks for your advice in advance!!!

Technotiger 20:15 17 Dec 2006

Hi, read through this and then scroll down to near the bottom and you will see four graphics cards mentioned, they are shown in order of preferrence.

click here

Cheers

eppu* 20:37 17 Dec 2006

Thanks Technotiger,

But if you had to choose between Geforce FX500 and Verto GeForce 6200, which one would you go for?

Technotiger 20:46 17 Dec 2006

Neither of those cards would fit, the Dell 2400 only has PCI slots, those cards are AGP.

gudgulf 21:01 17 Dec 2006

The use of the PCI bus will seriously restrict the performance of any of the cards you list above.

Technically the 6200 is the fastest but it is unlikely to be by that much when in PCI version.

Nevertheless I would go with the 6200 as first choice being the most up to date.Second choice is the fx500 card and lastly the ATI 9250 (only supports DirectX 8...the other 2 have DirectX 9)

None are really gaming cards but will give hardware support for hardware T&L and pixel shaders that the current onboard card may lack.

In other words whilst the gaming performance will be very limited all games should at least run.

eppu* 21:07 17 Dec 2006

I have checked and both FX5200 and 6200 are also available in PCI-format. I do realise that these won't be give great performace, but as long as it get the games running it will be ok until we get a new pc.So will try to get 6200 then...

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?