Which verdict on Windows 8 security

fonkets 19:12 13 Sep 2013
Answered

Hi. I have read a 'Which' report that Win 8 security essentials is the best. Any opinion on this by you texperts would be appreciated.

I ask as I'm in the process of choosing a laptop and one of my choices comes with free McAfee for a year ........... why if Win 8 SE is so good? ....

Thanks for reading and even more so for a reply :)

onthelimit1 22:59 13 Sep 2013
Answer

I've had no problems with the Windows Defender fitted to win 8 machines. Others will say use A, B or C. It's a matter of choice. Personally, I've never paid for AV and have had no more problems over the years than those who have forked out.

hastelloy 18:20 14 Sep 2013

Why free McAfee for a year - the cynic in me says that it means you're more likely to keep paying for it in future and it's a pain to get rid of anyway!

fonkets 20:20 14 Sep 2013

Thanks for the replies. I've been using Win 7 SE and superantispyware for two years without probs, maybe an adware or two.

onthelimit, you've reiforced my confidence, thanks.

I have heard that McAfee is a pain to remove, but I've opted for the laptop that doesn't have it pre-installed. Knowing my luck, it'll come with Norton etched on the hard disk!!!!

wee eddie 09:34 16 Sep 2013

All AVs are a pain to remove, they have to be, or the first thing a Virus would do would be to disable the AV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?