Which Utilities are needed with A.O.L. Please?

Wak 16:07 16 Aug 2004

A friend of mine has a small laptop computer running Win 95 and AOL (6 or 7 I think) which he uses mainly for E-mails on dial-up.
As he gets lots of Spam I suggested he installs Mailwasher, an anti virus prog, a pop-up stopper and possibly a firewall. There may be other things he could add like Adaware, SpywareBlaster, etc, but as I am not familiar with the workings of AOL I wondered if any of these programs are either not compatible or not required with AOL.
Perhaps an AOL user could offer some worldly advice or assistance in this direction, Please???

all those programs are offered by default with your AOL account,so why bother buying and installing !!
go to keyword and type what service you need,and its done for free.
you even can get them to check up your PC.have a loot at this.

Wak 19:46 16 Aug 2004

Thanks very much for that information, Elhaj.
As I said in the posting, I don't know anything about AOL and my friend who is 90 miles away knows hardly anything about computers so I just wanted to check that these things were compatible before I told him what to install.
Thanks again, much obliged.
Wak.

Cesar 09:33 17 Aug 2004

If your friend upgrades to AOL 9.0 he will get extra functions such as Computer Check-Up,Spam Blocker, and if he is on Broadband a AOL Broadband Check-Up, in fact AOL 9.0 is their best version yet and I highly reccommend it.

Wak 09:41 17 Aug 2004

Thanks for the info, Cesar. I shall certainly pass the message on to him.
Wak.

Diemmess 10:41 17 Aug 2004

I have this feeling that running '95 may be a bar on later versions of Aol. Certainly V.9 takes lots of space and processor power compared with older versions.

I will try their Techchat and see what answer I get. Whichever way it goes, will report what I'm told.

Diemmess 10:49 17 Aug 2004

Version 7 is the latest version which will run on a Laptop with Win 95

Diemmess 11:19 17 Aug 2004

From my own experience, using 98SE I suggest keep the guardian programmes to a minimum, because he doesn't have very much space or processor power, and may find the whole thing becomes unstable and that means tears!

Suggest AVG and simplest version of ZoneAlarm only.

Then as a matter of routine delete all temporary internet files via Control panel - Internet options (cookies and all).

Each time he goes online, he can configure things so that he downloads email without opening it. If he doesn't want it (spam) its easily deleted still unopened.

Hope this helps

Wak 15:02 17 Aug 2004

Also thanks to you for that information. I shall definitely keep it simple as there is more likelihood of overloading my friend before he overloads his Win 95.
Thanks again, Everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?