Which USB Wireless Adaptor?

Border View 12:08 13 Dec 2007

I have a 3Com Wirless Router. My laptop has a WiFi card and I access the internet without any problem.

I now have a desktop PC (running Windows XP Home SP2)which does not have wireless connectivity. I understand that I can get a USB Wireless adaptor which I could just plug in and it will find the 3com Router and allow me to connect to the internet.

Would welcome your advice on which adaptor is best to go with my 3com router.

Kemistri 15:59 13 Dec 2007

Are they too far apart to cable up?

Border View 17:14 13 Dec 2007

No, I could run a cable into the back of the router to the tower, but would need to be careful in case I tripped over the wire. Not a sort of permanent thing.

Kemistri 17:17 13 Dec 2007

Right. In that case, the answer to your question is easy: do not try to rely on a USB adapter unless it is [a] necessary due to a lack of PCI slots and [b] positioned in plain sight, such as on the desk. Do not stick it around the back of the tower.

Border View 17:18 13 Dec 2007

Just had a look at the wire which came with the router and its only about a metre long - would not stretch. the router is about fifteen feet away on the landing.

Is there another sort of connection I could use?

Border View 17:23 13 Dec 2007

Looking at your response Kemistri, my tower has USB slots on the front, so I take it becuse of problems with the wire, if I get a USB adaptor I shall plug it in the front slot. Have I read your posting correctly?

Kemistri 17:42 13 Dec 2007

That is often not a great deal better, unless you happen to have your tower on top of the desk.

Really, I'm trying to steer you towards the idea of a PCI adapter with the potential for a small desktop antenna. But as I wrote briefly above, if USB is the only practical option, at least make sure that you keep it in an open location - down near the floor is often less than optimal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?