Which type of network cable?

  Daibus 09:12 06 Dec 2005

Which type of cable should you use to connect my Router to a Belkin Wireless Access Point?

I see there are two types of RJ45 network cable - crossed and straight through but the store did not know the difference between them.


  mgmcc 09:16 06 Dec 2005

Use a "straight-wired" cable.

A "crossover" cable is only used to connect two PCs directly, "Network Adapter to Network Adapter". Connections to a Hub/Switch/Router use a straight-wired cable.

  PaulB2005 09:26 06 Dec 2005

"the store did not know the difference between them."

Go on - which store?

By the way a Straight Cable is also called a Patch Cable.

  Daibus 09:37 06 Dec 2005

Many thanks for your replies.

I am in Spain and the store, quite a large multinational called Boulanger, has a large computer section so I was surprised as well.

  keewaa 09:57 06 Dec 2005

"the store did not know the difference between them."

I'd say it's a regular occurrence. Buying a DVD HS player recently ... conversation goes ...

"Now I need some DVDs to use for recording with it"
"Here you go Sir, these DVD+-RW will be perfect"

Brought the new machine home, connected it all up, open the manual and hey presto

Quote ...
"If you are unable to record to DVD the first thing to check is that you are using a compatible DVD format. This player will not record with DVD+- discs or DVD ram discs"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires