Which of these programes are a security risk

Audio~~Chip 12:24 04 Sep 2009

Hello

Anyone in the forum with a good knowledge of risky programes, then read on :-

My Sisters computer got bad infections which I managed to remove things like Rogue, Trojans infecting the memory, Registry & Files all in WinXP Home. Luckily removed with SuperAnti Spyware.

I also made a note of programmes on her machine as follows. Can someone tell me if there are any security risks with them. Any maybe dodgy ?
Note, these are default programs which havent' been updated as far as she is aware. I say defualt, she said they have always been there

Ageia Physx
Photo Tags Express
Gamespy Arcade
Power Reg Sheduler
Norton Security Scan (She has AVG, not sure where this came from. It to me looks fake)
Spyware Doctor
Music Match
Pinnicle Instant Copy.

Stuartli 12:39 04 Sep 2009

The first one is connected with nVidia graphics:

click here

the second is involved with gaming and the Norton Security Scan an on-line scan facility.

Spyware Doctoris a paid for anti-malware offering - SUPERAntispyware is freeware and probably equal if not superior.

The rest appear OK at first glance, but try Googling them.

Audio~~Chip 12:51 04 Sep 2009

it didn't do anything in protecting the machine as it hacked windows bad with Pop up galore I personally always prefer a dedicated paid for Internet security package like Kaspersy.

Re the Nvidia, the AGP card is a FX5200 which I don't think requires physx will look into this.

Music Match is dated personally.

Thanks Stuartli, got to nip out will google later

Stuartli 14:37 04 Sep 2009

I use freeware such as Avast!, along with SUPERAntispyware, Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster.

All do a first class job providing that they are updated as required (Avast! updates itself and also informs you of the fact).

The FX5200 is a card I used in the past which I replaced with a Radeon 9550 - even that is very old hat now but does all that I require as I've never been hooked on games...:-)

Audio~~Chip 19:19 04 Sep 2009

probably programes that are not risky though old then

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?