Which spec is better?

  hawthorn59 19:15 06 Jan 2008
Locked

Hi

I am in a position where i can afford to get a new laptop! Dont really NEED one as such, but its not often i can afford to treat myself so here goes...

Heres what Im looking at:

Toshiba Satellite A200-1VG, Vista Home Premium, Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 1.5 Ghz
2 Gig Ram, Intel GMA UMA graphics, 120 Gig HD

The thing is my current laptop is only just under 2 yrs old, and heres the spec:

HP Pavillion dv 6000, AMD Turian 64x2 Mobile, Technology TL-56, 1.81 Ghz, 80Gig HD

everything else is much the same. Im a bit worried that I may be taking a step backwards from 1.81 to 1.5, but am hoping that the intel chip is faster. I do have larger HD and Vista, but am wondering should I go for higher spec, and what? Its just for light home use.

h

  pchelper001 19:18 06 Jan 2008

it depends on how much money you are willing to spend, if you give a price, we can help and find the best for you.

  kindly 19:21 06 Jan 2008

Personally I would wait for a little bit and keep hold of your money. There is a lot of new computers coming out now so as you say you dont need to change at the moment try to hang on. The laptop you are using is pretty good. sorry no better advice

  VoG II 19:24 06 Jan 2008

I'm confused because in click here you say you are getting your new laptop tomorrow!

  pchelper001 19:26 06 Jan 2008

does it look like he has already chosen his laptop?

  hawthorn59 19:55 06 Jan 2008

Well yes, sorry folks... its arriving in the shop tomorrow, I havent totally committed ot buying it! I auditioned the demo model, and they,re getting it in anyway, so no committment.

I probably WILL get it tomorrow but was just getting a bit of "cold feet" in case I wasnt actually improving what I had (although larger Hard Drive and Vista(!) and intel chip).

The current one cost me €1150 or so. The list pirce if this is €849 but Im getting a sale price of €699. So my budget is 700-800 max (Euro)

i reckoned if i sold my current one it would be good value at €400 or so.

Apologies again, but I thought it would be even more confusing if I started asking these questions in the post where I said i was getting it tomorrow! Probably made it confusing, sorry!

thanks

h

  pchelper001 20:41 06 Jan 2008

i would go for it, vista is a good os, and you can never have a big enough hard drive. It may well be a lot faster as well, but it definitely can't be any slower, as technology has gone so far ahead in the last 2 years.

  skidzy 20:48 06 Jan 2008

Having a new shiny toy to play with is great,but ask yourself...do i need this at this time.

Yes it is nice to spoil yourself,but personally i would wait a bit longer.

Wait for Vista sp1.

Computers right across the board are coming down in price.

If the current machine is running ok,i would hang on a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?