Which sata cables for HDD - ?

fpg 16:42 02 Jan 2006

I need to fit an extra SATA HDD and have a PCI card fitted with a 7 pin socket - also have a spare 7 pin SATA cable to fit. BUT in looking for a SATA HDD the connectors mentioned in the specs seem to be 22 pin.
Are there 2 types of SATA Hard Disks requiring different cables?

DieSse 16:56 02 Jan 2006

Data cables are 7 pin - power cables are 22 pin

Fingees 17:00 02 Jan 2006

Sata ATA drives are 7 pin Go to
click here

for details and selection.

DieSse 17:02 02 Jan 2006

Sorry power cables are 15 pin - the 22 pin appears to be a combined power and data cable. See here for views click here - near the bottom of the page

fpg 17:26 02 Jan 2006

Thanks for help - so SATA has a 7 pin for DATA - OK I have that covered then. But I need a SATA HDD which will take the 'old' 4 pin power plug. Do SATA HDDs have both power sockets now - even one with a 22pin spec?
I am thinking of getting a 300gb Maxtor SATA -150

DieSse 17:34 02 Jan 2006

The only old 4 pin power plug is the original white molex type I beleive - for IDE drives. SATA drives always use 15pin connectors. In which case you will need a power adapter - see almost anywhere - including where you are looking at for your drives.

fpg 17:59 02 Jan 2006

Thanks Diesee - I have just checked my existing SATA HDD which has 7 pin data, 4 pin molex power socket and another 15 pin socket which puzzled me at the time I fitted it 'cos it seemed to be surplus. It appears that only my first generation of SATA HDDs had the belt and braces of 2 power sockets. So I now need a convertor of 4 pin to 15 pin to make a current SATA drive work. (My mobo is December 2003 and is already falling behind in socket designs.)

All help appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?