Which router for NTL Modem

jules52 16:08 03 Aug 2006

Very basic stuff for some but not for me. I have an NTL modem connected to my desktop PC via one of my USB ports. I now want to connect 3 laptops that are Wi Fi enabled to the internet via the same PC. Can anyone help me please as to what I require.

ade.h 16:13 03 Aug 2006

Linksys WRT54G or 3Com 3CRWE554G72T.

Strawballs 19:47 03 Aug 2006

I can only comment on the Linksys that ade.h has recomended as that is what I use on NTL with no complaints but if ade.h recomends the 3com I expect it is equally as good.

jules52 20:05 03 Aug 2006

Thank you ade.h and strawballs. One further very daft question but will I also need to purchase a PCI adaptor for my PC and if so would you recommend the Linksys WMP54G?

Strawballs 20:08 03 Aug 2006

It will proberbly be very good being linksys (as they are made by Cisco)but I use a own brand Novatech one and if you don't want to open your case you could also go for a USB adapter just be sure it will run WPA encryption not just WEP.

ade.h 20:57 03 Aug 2006

One thing that surprised me about your post: "....connected to my desktop PC via one of my USB ports."

Cable modems normally connect via RJ45 (cable broadband uses PPP over Ethernet, so it makes sense). Now, this is okay if your modem also has RJ45 output - that will go into the WAN RJ45 port on the router. But hardly any routers support USB PPPoE cable modems to my knowledge, because it is not the normal configuration.

As for your adapter - are we talking Ethernet or wifi? You WILL need an RJ45-equipped desktop or laptop PC to perform router setup and any subsequent wireless-related changes, so you'll need to tell me what you have now in terms of connectivity before I can advise further.

ade.h 21:07 03 Aug 2006

click here== / click here This is the cheapest PCI wifi adapter that supports WPA encryption.

click here or (2nd choice) click here are both good desktop-biased USB wifi adapters.

click here is one of the best PCI Ethernet boards.

jules52 22:30 03 Aug 2006

Sorry ade.h for not making it clearer. My NTL modem can connect to my PC from either the USB or the RJ45 connector. I use the USB just for convenience.

ade.h 22:31 03 Aug 2006

That's a relief. Don't want to over-complicate things!

jules52 22:36 03 Aug 2006

Also forgot to mention that I currently have an ethernet PCI card in my desktop that is currently connected (wired) to another computer that I'm scrapping.

ade.h 22:41 03 Aug 2006

You can use that for your configuration, in that case, so you won't need the card in my last link.

For a wireless adapter, take your pick from my other links, but whatever you choose, DON'T use it with the manufacturer's software. Follow my step-by-step at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?