Which router for network, cable modem and printer

Glyn-252301 15:34 13 Aug 2004

Having trawled through the many threads on this subject I am still in need of help. I have 2 puters, usb printer, and 750 Cable modem (ntl). One puter has Dual Lan - IntelR Pro/1000CT and a Realteck 10/100. The other has a 10/100. I am running Win98SE on both. I want to be able to access the net from either puter: Access printer from either Puter. and have both machines talking to each other. I was running a network but it has not worked since going cable.
Problem is what router to go for. I have had so much conflicting advise from different places and need advise from somebody who has knowledge of this sort of setup. With regards to wireless technology I am not bothered about living without it, but if that is the way to go, then please tell me. Regards and good wishes to all. G

SEASHANTY 16:45 13 Aug 2004

Robin Walkers NTL website answers many queries on sharing a cable modem
click here
I am also on NTL 600k (which should now be 750) but just use a Linksys BEFSR41 cable/dsl router with switch to connect two PC's to the internet. They dont share files or the printer but have had no difficulty using either PC to connect to the net. Both use XP Home. This setup has now been in use for over 18 months with no problems. On connecting the router it was necessary to clone in the MAC address (physical address) of the main PC which was originally connected to the NTL server.
There is networking info on the Linksys website
click here

SEASHANTY 16:49 13 Aug 2004

....and, I forgot to add. The NTL who set up the original cable BB used the ethernet LAN cards to set it up. He told me using ethernet caused less problems than setting up with USB. Previously had AOL dialup on a BT line.

SEASHANTY 16:57 13 Aug 2004

How do I turn on file and printer sharing
click here

Glyn-252301 17:05 13 Aug 2004

Thanks for that SEASHANTY, Good links, Hope you get the upgrade soon, I have noticed the difference, will see what I can find on your links. Will leave open for further info thanks guys. G

PS Just noticed your additions, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?