Which router for a local network?

octal 10:38 27 Sep 2005

At work here I've got three machines, two on Windows 98SE and one on Windows 2000. The Win 2000 is in the office and I want to share files with the two 98 machines. I have these click here although they work, the connections are a bit flakey, so I probably need a router. No Internet or Intranet is involved so any suggestions on routers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mgmcc 14:08 27 Sep 2005

The purpose of a "Router" to is to route Internet traffic to the appropriate computer in a network. If there is no Internet involved in your network, then a Router is not the solution you are looking for.

At the moment, if all computers are using USB Wireless Network Adapters and connecting via an "Ad Hoc" network, you should probably be looking at replacing the Wireless Network Adapter in the MAIN PC with a "Wireless Access Point". This plugs into a conventional *wired* network adapter and, as its name suggests, provides an Access Point for wireless adapters to connect to a wired network (in this case just your main PC). You would then have an "Infrastructure" wireless network instead of an "Ad Hoc" one. The difference is that, instead of all three PCs talking directly to one another, they would all communicate via the Wireless Access Point, the main PC through its *wired* connection and the other two *wirelessly*.

The alternative is to set up a completely WIRED network. This would involve connecting each PC to a "Network Switch" by ethernet cable.

octal 14:32 27 Sep 2005

Thanks that makes sense, the "Wireless Access Point" is the key and not the router. I don't want a wired network because the two 98 machines are "mobile" around the lab and are moved to where they are needed.

Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires