Which router??

Bike-it 19:31 06 Sep 2010

I am sick of wireless problems with my second Netgear routers the latest one the DGN 2000, i have tried all the settings moved it to different locations but the connection keeps dropping, so do you think another brand of router like belkin, Linksys or the like would be worth buying? my isp keep telling me because the problem is only when using wireless there is nothing they can do to help me.

Strawballs 19:48 06 Sep 2010

Could it be the wireless reciever on the laptop or PC that is causing the problems and not the router have you tried a friends laptop or something on your network?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 06 Sep 2010

Consider boosting your wireless signal?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 06 Sep 2010

Have you tried changing Channels to avoid interference from neighbours using the same channel?

Bike-it 19:55 06 Sep 2010

Strawballs it is a problem on all three laptops, fruitbat i tried all thirteen channels but it makes no difference, will give the boost a go

MAJ 20:13 06 Sep 2010

If you're using an extension lead from the BT socket to the router, remove it and use the shorter ISP supplied cable instead. Also, use the main BT phone socket, not an extension phone socket off the main socket.

Bike-it 20:18 06 Sep 2010

Maj
i have already tried your suggestions, no difference,
At times the connection is fine but this past four days the connection drops every ten minutes or so.

john bunyan 20:59 06 Sep 2010

I have , with a solidly built largish house, no problems with a Belkin N+ Wireless modem router, ethernet wired to desktop, wirless to laptop.
My router is upstairs on a telephone extension, with the desktop. Getting about 5.6mbps download with Pipex/ Tiscali nowadays - improved in recent months.

Bike-it 20:23 08 Sep 2010

Just to let you all know, i moved the router up to the attic, and the dropped connections are a lot less but are still happening, when it drops connection i no longer get a red x through the network screens in the taskbar, why? i also ran a scan with inSSIDer and it found five networks, three using channel 11 one using channel 6 and myself using channel 13, i also contacted Netgear and their help was to tell me i should be using one of three channels 1,6,or 11 as all other channels wont work in the region i live.

Bike-it 20:17 12 Sep 2010

Got a lend of a D=Link router and the dropped connections are a lot worse every 10 minutes or so, so would i be wise to buy either the Billion 8700N or the Linksys WAG320N?

john bunyan 20:53 12 Sep 2010

See my Mon 20.59 post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?