Which router?

Max Star 09:17 18 Mar 2009

Hello

I have just bought a laptop computer and wish to connect wirelessly to the internet. My main desktop pc is connected to the internet via cable broadband. However, it is connected with a usb cable and not with an ethernet cable as there is no ethernet port on the back of my pc. The cable routers that I have looked at all connect with an ethernet cable so what is the solution? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

citadel 16:26 18 Mar 2009

you can get an ethernet card and install it in an empty pci slot on motherboard,

gazzaho 16:40 18 Mar 2009

citadel is right and I would recommend buying one as using a USB cable connection puts extra demand on your computers CPU in order to access the internet, they're dirt cheap too, here's one for instance click here I use a Linksys WRT54GS router myself with Virgin broadband and haven't had any problems in the 5 or so years I've had it, my notebook, PS3 and Nintendo WII connect wirelessly with it as does my nieces notebook while my Xbox 360 connects via network cable.

Max Star 23:36 18 Mar 2009

Thanks for your responses. I bought an ethernet card earlier for £6.99 from Maplins and installed it. That seems to have done the trick.

sunnystaines 09:32 19 Mar 2009

I use a Linksys WAG54G it very good only router i have used so not sure if its the best. its signal can be picked up anywhere in the house or garden with good signal strength. The support line is a 24/7 free phone line that goes to america not one of those useless indian call centres.

cost about £50 may have a newer version out now.

Strawballs 22:23 19 Mar 2009

I have the Linksys wrt54g and also used for 5yrs without fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?