Which router ?

jin799 12:36 11 Jul 2008

Hi there ,
I am with Ntl broadband and have a problem that my normal router is gone bad.
I phoned them up to ask for new modem but they are saying over £50 !!!
This is way over priced and I was considering getting a wireless router instead.
But I have a problem that the connection at the back is done like a coxial cable ( thats the wire thing coming from my main cable supply ) so which router should i get that supports a coxial cable connection and is wireless ?
I'm also looking for cheap and durable if thats a possibility .

I have just one box (which I think u call a cable modem).
This box had a coxial cable connection which connected direct to the main outlet of where the cable is coming from.
I used the ethernet cable which I plugged in the box and straight to my computer.
Now that is the box that is broken.
I have been to some computer shops like PC World,Curry's but they do not have a box with a coxial connection so any ideas where I can get it from in the UK ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 11 Jul 2008

I am with Ntl broadband and have a problem that my normal router is gone bad.
I phoned them up to ask for new modem but they are saying over £50 !!!

The cable modem is supplied by NTL (virgin) and it is their responsibility if the modem has failed and you cannot connect, you are paying for a service you cannot recieve, they should renew the modem for free.

do you have lights on the modem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 11 Jul 2008
  jin799 12:58 11 Jul 2008

They are saying its been over a year so they cannot replace it for me and I will have to buy a new one .
The modem is broken as my brother's kid smashed it on the floor.
I am willing to buy a new cable modem but not for the price of £50.

Chris the Ancient 14:31 11 Jul 2008

I'm presuming that you are ntl cable - rather than using 'normal' telephone line. In this case, you are a bit between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I tried a google search and couldn't find anything. So, it looks like ntl are the only players. And it looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one of theirs - at their price.

A thought though. Look at your household contents insurance and see if that sort of thing is covered for accidental damage - and even try ringing the insurance provider and begging. It might get back some of the cost.

CtA

jin799 13:25 14 Jul 2008

Thank you ppl for all your input.
I am not giving up so soon.
Will try to find the modem in ebay if i can .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?