Which PSU?

Logov 17:11 29 Mar 2006

Hi

I'm building a pc dedicated to audio recording and for this I'm installing two 200gb Hard Drives. In the past I've built home pc's with just the one hard drive and a psu has never been a problem as most will suffice. However, I'll be running music recording programmes such as Cubase SX3 on XP Home with 1gb of RAM and an Athlon 64bit 3000+ CPU. The main consideration is noise. So what I'm after is psu that can cope with two hard drives and is as silent as possible. I've looked at a couple of fanless units such as the Antec phantom but I'm not sure it can handle the demands upon it. Any thought greatly appreciated.

tommagumpi 17:20 29 Mar 2006

Go by what the motherboard manual says, if you put a to bigger psu on you may fry the motherboard, i think my system has a 550w psu and thats more than enough. Hope that helps?

Hawk-N-Spit 17:26 29 Mar 2006

I have 2 160 western digital hard drives also 2 DVD writers my PSU was one of the silent ones bought out of PC world I also have 3 PCI slots filled and a NVIDIA 6600 AGP graphics card and my 400w PSU manages just fine so if you are using it just for recording then I would say 350 to 400w would be fine you can also get PSUs with a fan speed controller on the back so when you dont have a heavy load on you can slow it down

Stuartli 17:29 29 Mar 2006

>>if you put a to bigger psu on you may fry the motherboard,>>

How?

ulrich 18:32 29 Mar 2006

I have a Seasonic 600w, this is future proofing. It's very quiet, hasn't fried my motherboard. I also read a lot of reviews. I like a quiet PC but I wouldn't go down the fanless PSU route.

ulrich 18:33 29 Mar 2006

I have a Seasonic 600w, this is future proofing. It's very quiet, hasn't fried my motherboard. I also read a lot of reviews. I like a quiet PC but I wouldn't go down the fanless PSU route.

Logov 20:56 29 Mar 2006

Thanks for the responses guys.
I've looked at the Seasonic S12 series because of the reviews they've had but the reason I'm considering going fanless is that for recording I'm using really sensitive mic's that will pick up even the slightest hum. I'd love to be able to put a booth next to my pc but the cost and the battering I'd get from my wife is somewhat of a deterrent. Unfortunately, my only option is to have the quietest possible pc I can afford. The relative silence of a fanless psu is very attractive but I'm wary of their propensity for burnout when compared to more conventional power supplies. Does anyone have a fanless psu or knowledge of their reliability?

hzhzhz 21:04 29 Mar 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone