Which Product Key please?

Nant 20:22 12 Mar 2007

My Amilo D laptop came with WinXP pre-installed and activated. Also included was a recovery disc, a full XP Home CD with a product key on a sticker under the computer base. I need to reload XP and want to copy the existing wpa.dbl and wpabaln files into sys32 folder to save activation. Magic Jellybean Key finder indicates that Fujisu-S. used a different product key originally.Should I use this one and not the one on the sticker to aviod the need for activation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rick808 20:26 12 Mar 2007

download this - click here
click on the licenses Tab and it will show the currently used key - that should be the one to use

lotvic 20:33 12 Mar 2007

this microsoft page will tell you all about it click here

"Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP"
""Large PC Manufacturers known as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have the ability to pre-activate Microsoft® Windows XP software installed on new PCs. As a result, end users are typically not required to activate the software during the set up process by typing in the product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity attached to the PC (COA Key)..........................""

Nant 22:51 12 Mar 2007

I'm grateful for the prompt responses, I have verified that the key entered by Fujitsu-Siemens is not the one on the sticky label. I will use their original product key.

Thanks again .

woodchip 22:53 12 Mar 2007

You should use the one already in windows registry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017