Which processor Slot or PPGA

Ex plorer 18:23 02 Oct 2006

Hi I have just bought a new but old MOBO of eBay.
I have a choice of type of processors Slot or PPGA.
As far as I can make out I can go for a 550 MHz Pent 3 which can operate at 100 MHz SB
I want to get the most out of it and processors are very cheap now so which should I go for.
I have the MOBO drivers and there seems to be plenty of updates online.
I have never over clocked a PC and would like to do so with this.
I have nothing to loose as it will only cost a few pounds to build.
The Board is a P6BAT-ME.
OS Win 98SE.

Ex

GaT7 20:32 02 Oct 2006

You can use either as the P6BAT-Me supports both - it'll have these slots - click here for a pic.

Doing a search (at click here), I found a list of compatible CPUs for the P6BAT-Me with PCB v2.0 & BIOS v5.5: click here (scroll down if necessary).

Also see - Pentium III CPU Support List click here

I couldn't find info regarding the same with P6BAT-Me PCB v1.1 - only a whole load of download links click here.

Download the P6BAT-Me manual by clicking on the appropriate link at click here.

As you're overclocking, this may be of interest - "The benefits that the new generation of Coppermine Pentium III's offer is on-die L2 cache. This cache runs at the same speed as the CPU does, and is of a higher quality than off-die cache. Because on-die cache can run at the same speed as the rest of the processor, performance is increased - even when the on-die L2 cache is smaller than that of the older off-die cache. Because of this, you are able to overclock these processors with a higher success rate than the older generation of Pentium III's." - from click here. For another P3 overclock guide click here.

Good luck with it all. G

Ex plorer 21:47 02 Oct 2006

Hi thank you for your time and effort in answering my thread its very much appreciated.
Should be fun with this project now I have this info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?