Which processor and motherborad

markcomp 07:14 13 Sep 2010

This is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but some background might help.
My wife's computer - home build now 5 yrs old is mainly used for word processing, research and web design - Dreamweaver - is getting a little slow despite more memory et.
We will probably buy a new laptop and Windows 7 snd move all the computers across as we upgrade(kids, home and and work)
In the interim i would like to put a new processor, board and memory into the older machine, and whilst searching on ebuyer forums came across a reference to unlocking a "processors second core". Does this mean that with a bit of tweaking and the right kit this processor AMD i think (although I cannot find it now!!) which seemed very good value and popular could be upgraded by simply using the right board and knowhow. - Good choice and stable afterwards?
If this is a no go a cheapish processor and board combination??
Thanks for any replies
Mark

citadel 07:58 13 Sep 2010

on some asus boards there is a core unlocker turning a 3 core into a 4 core, not certain to work with every cpu, i think you just push a button on the board and start the pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires