Which Processor?

billy_sw 07:43 15 May 2007

My daughter is wanting to buy a new PC that will be used for browsing the net and playing games including things like World of Warcraft and Neverwinter Nights.

I have seen a couple of PC's within her price range that can be purchased with the same graphics card/RAM combination but with the option to choose different Intel and AMD processors. The processors are;

Intel® Pentium® D 925 Dual Core (3.0GHz,4MB Cache,800MHz)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor(1.86GHz,2MB Cache,1066MHz)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5000+ - Socket AM2

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ - Socket AM2

I've not bought a PC for years and am bewildered at the different types of processor that are currently on the market. From those listed above which one would people recommend on the basis of performance, value and the type of applications that my daughter will be using?

Thanks

Billy

Sheik Yerbouti 07:57 15 May 2007

I'd plump for the Core 2 Duo. Pentium D consumes more power than C2Duo, leading to more heat output and noisier fans in my experience. Can't comment on AMD.

Sheik Yerbouti 08:03 15 May 2007

Just to add, for another 40 Quid, you could get the E6600, but you could go on and on, just this and that extra.
But would look at E6320 for less than 5 pounds more and get the 4MB Cache(instead of 2MB)

Lettervanman 10:31 15 May 2007

About three years ago most computers were fitted with AMD processors.The wheel has now turned again and Intel are in favour.My computer has AMD,it is the first that I have owned with this processor and it works just fine. My previous boxes all had Intel,

You pays yer money and.................

chub_tor 10:53 15 May 2007

From the four you have listed the best choice without doubt is the Intel Core 2 Duo

billy_sw 07:37 17 May 2007

Thanks for you r help. Will go with the Intel Core 2 Duo.
Billy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?