Which printer?

Simsy 10:53 21 Feb 2009

Folks,

A, (now retired), ex-colleague has asked my advice on replacing their printer...

I've asked the following questions, on all of which I'm awaiting an answers;

How much printing is done, and how often?
Photos or documents; priority?
Would monochrome suffice?
Is a scanner facilty needed?

Notwithstanding that I'm waiting for the answers, I've been told it needs to be "small", (undefined!), which, on the face of it, resticts things slightly.

I think the size issue has been raised because I think the expected location of the printer is in a small lounge, on the table where the laptop PC is used, where the current printer is and it's currently a bit dominant...

Now it's occurred to me that as the wireless router is inconspicuously located on the other side of the room, if the printer was network ready, or wireless, this would free up the location restriction, and thus, possibly, free up the size restriction as well.

On this basis I'm planing to investigate wireless/network printers, but It's not obvious from initial description whether a printer has this facility or not, and I'm wasting lots of time searching, so...

Can anyone reccomend, (if such a thing exists!), a cheap, (sub £100) printer that is wireless or has a built in network facility. Even if you can't reccomend one, do you know of such a beast?

Note that I'm aware of the possibilty of getting a print server as a seperate bit of kit! I'm deliberately avoiding this at the moment. Less kit is a very good thing in this instance!

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

MAJ 11:06 21 Feb 2009

Yes they (wireless printers) do exist, Simsy, there are lots of them around. I agree with your thinking on the space issue and think it's a good idea in the circumstances. I can't recommend one personally as I've never had one, but this click here is an example. Wait for a proper recommendation from someone who has first-hand experience of a particular model though, some of them can be iffy, if I remember correctly.

exorbitant 12:02 21 Feb 2009
  Sea Urchin 12:59 21 Feb 2009

Start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's - and not a smart move to publish your email address on a forum website

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone