Which powerline (Homeplug) adapters?

griffo 18:12 06 Jul 2008

I wish to purchase a Powerline (Homeplug) starter kit (2 plugs) to use with an upstairs PC, to avoid weak wireless and the prospect of hard-wiring. I have a Draytek Vigor 2600G router downstairs with an XP desktop, cable connected and want to use an XP laptop upstairs.

I would like to go with the 200mbps versions for the extra speed and wondered if there are any views on which brand is best. Some seem to favour Devolo but they're more expensive than Advent (via PC World) - are they worth the extra?

Any thoughts/advice please?

dms_05 09:15 07 Jul 2008

If you don't mind ebay then search Homeplug on there. Lots of choice and worht a look (make sure they are LAN and not USB Homeplug). I bought a couple for under £50 delivered and they have worked 24/7 for the past 18 months without a problem. If you are only using the network for internet access then you don't need the highest speed Homeplug - if you have a 5MB/sec internet connection then you don't need a lot more on the Homeplug spec to handle this without delays.

griffo 08:54 09 Jul 2008

thanks for the reply. To save time, I bought the Advent 200mbps starter kit from PCW - £50 cheaper than the Devolo equivalent.

Plugged them in and they worked straightaway, without needing to install their software. However, it says I'm connected at 100 mbps according to the tray icon, shouldn't it be higher than that? (I went for the high speed one's because I need good file transfer speeds).

These plugs will handle speeds of up to 200mbps but that is only if you have that internet speed. By the sounds of it your internet speed is 100mbps so the plugs are working correctly.

griffo 07:28 10 Jul 2008

Thanks for the reply but is that right? I thought the speed shown when you hover your mouse over the network connection icon in the tray bar, shows the network speed not internet speed?

T0SH 14:29 10 Jul 2008

the 100 mbps showing will be the speed of your ethernet network cards probably 10/100 rated

Regards HC

griffo 12:12 11 Jul 2008

My laptop says it has a 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet but I know the desktop has a 10/100 PCI card. Is the network speed controlled by the slowest component ie; the desktop LAN card or the Router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017