Which Power Supply for Gameing Graphic Cards ?

Tinkey Winkey 09:20 31 Oct 2004

Need a quiet blue LED PSU which will comfrtably run my Radeon 9800 and the likes of Doom 3.

Think I read in MicroMart that the newer Graphics cards require alot of juice & should have a 400watt + PSU in order to make the pc more stable ?

I've 3 PSUs in mind :

Antec Smartblue 350 watt
Fortron Aurora 350 watt
Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt

Will 350 watts do or should I go for 480 ?

Is the Forton as good as the Antec 350 ?

Any thoughts welcome.

Gongoozler 10:24 31 Oct 2004

Hi BodgeItAndScarper. What processor are you using, and do you have any other power hungry components. I think the 480W supply would give you plenty of reserve power, where the 350W could be borderline. A simple Watts figure isn't very informative, it really depends on the correct distribution of power between the various voltages, and the quality of the power regulation, byt a quality 480W supply should be good for most purposes. See if this Power Supply calculator helps click here

georgemac 10:47 31 Oct 2004

a lot now depends on your motherboard/cpu

if the motherboard uses the 4 pin 12 volt connector to power the cpu, you need a power supply with a strong +12 volt max output (not peak) rating.

if it does not use the 4 pin connector, a strong +5v +3.3v max output will be required.

I wouold think the antec 350 watt would be suitable if you are not using the 4 pin connector - the 480 watt antec will be much more upgradeable if you intend to upgrade your system at a later date

480 watt specs click here

350 watt specs click here much weaker on the +12v

georgemac 10:52 31 Oct 2004

have been reviewed very well

click here click here click here the last one will appeal to a case modder maybe and has a very strong +12 volt rail

if you do a google search for levicom review you will find some.

Tinkey Winkey 11:08 31 Oct 2004

Thanks Gongoozler,

What an invaluable realtime calculator.
I'm sure I will use it again - excellent.

Calculator showed 327 watts for my config so maybee it would be more stable under the 480 ?

Gongoozler 12:04 31 Oct 2004

Hi BodgeItAndScarper. Some of the things that are done to make a power supply higher rated are to use larger chip semiconductors, to use thicker wire in the transformer and to make the cooling more efficient. Within reason all these things will help to make the supply more efficient and therefore cooler running even if you don't need all the power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?