which photo and video camera software

raggy 2 08:24 06 Jul 2004

can someone advice me what the best software is for fixing photos and video film so that you can mix and cut and transfer them to cd or dvd and the one that will make your videos look proffessional with titles and background insert already on the software etc etc, I have seen so many and am not sure what is the best about.

stlucia 08:45 06 Jul 2004

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on this one, but for starters here's what I use: IrfanView for photos (it's free, and it has reasonable editing capabilities), and Pinnacle for video. But the latest Roxio (and, I believe, Nero) burning software can also do basic video editing, titles, etc.

georgemac 08:57 06 Jul 2004

for tranferring photos to dvd to view them on tv/dvd player I find ulead picture2dvd is excellent. click here

HP memories disc creator is also supposed to be very good and is free but I have never tried it, mainly because it is a large download and I'm on dial up click here

for fixing photos irfanview is good, and I have jasc photo studio which is also good, but many say for high end fixing jasc paint shop pro is one of the best.

video - no idea.

ventanas 09:27 06 Jul 2004

Totally agree. Used PaintShop Pro for years going through various versions. It takes a bit of learning these days, but is well worth it, especially if you have a tablet.

Likewise no idea about video.

stlucia 13:50 06 Jul 2004

To take this a bit further on video; I use Pinnacle to download and edit my videos, and to encode them into MPEG2 format ready for burning onto DVD or SVCD (Ulead and Adobe are other editing software I've seen mentioned here, but have no personal experience of). It's quite simple to use, reasonably cheap (often advertised at PC World for around £50 or less) and while editing you can cut bits out of scenes, add transitions between scenes (various fades, etc.), and add soundtrack. I then use Roxio 6 or MyDVD to burn the finished product onto DVD. That is also where you can create a menu screen if you want, with pushbuttons for instant access to different parts of your video.

Roxio can, I believe, do the whole thing from download to burning, but I've never tried it and some people here have reported problems with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?