which pc should i buy please

swimming99 14:27 11 May 2014

hiya guys I am going to be making my own websites using adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop. i currently use a laptop but want to buy a pc , which one is the best , touchscreen, windows 8, mac only want to spend around £700. please can you help thanks

Jollyjohn 17:29 11 May 2014

Hi

This is a very open ended question so we need to define your options a little.

You won't get a Mac for £700. Using PC World as a guide, looking at 2x that for a Mac.

What do you want?

Have you used Windows 8, do you like it?

Do you want Touchscreen? I would have thought money spent on a good mouse / trackball would be better for working on photos.

Is your laptop up to the job? You could use it for it's processing power, add a large monitor, wireless keyboard & mouse to make work easier.

and finally do you need a just the tower or will you need Monitor, mouse & keyboard as part of the package / budget?

Come back with some replies and I am sure we can help

swimming99 21:42 11 May 2014

hiya i want a all in one pc not really bothered about touchscreen, and my laptop is not big enough screen wise.havent really used window 8, just wanted a few ideas thanks

Mr Mistoffelees 15:36 12 May 2014

In going for an all-in-one you will find, as with a laptop, that you will need to more for a poorer spec than if you go for a conventional desktop.

Jollyjohn 10:37 13 May 2014

Hi

Couldn't log in yesterday to reply!

If your laptop handles the tasks you want to do then just buy a monitor and plug it in, check connections available on laptop, vga or hdmi.

Also looking at PC World, just for reference, they have started offering barebones PC's. No operating system. So one of these and a version of Linux is another option.

OCRIDION 11:08 13 May 2014

Hi,

You can go with any system you feel like going for, while spec can be important, so long as you have decent ammount of ram, you will be more than ready to take on Web Development with the likes of Dreamweaver and Photoshop in this day.

I would definitly recommend the touch screen all-in-one. This is because, even though as mentioned before it doesn't offer the absolute best in specs (im most instances), the all-in-one touch screen allows you to experience Windows 8 and Mobile/Touch enabled websites first hand.

This is an important aspect for Web Development. Simply developing for Desktop is not good enough anymore, developers need to conform to some W3c rules and generals laws of coding conduct for accessibility. Responsive Web Design and touch enabled web content is one of the main mantra's for this. A all-in-one should help you really create such a thing.

General rules of thumb for this:

• 23" Touch Screen All-in-one
  • Windows 8
  • 4GB RAM or more
  • 64bit Processor (4 cores or more I would recommend)
  • 1tb drive or more (for storing uncompressed web content)
  • Wireless enabled (if necessary for you)
  • Graphics card not really necessary (but HD integrate graphics is best here)

Most of them will fit this profile easily. Beyond this... its completely your freedom of choice, can't really go wrong.

chub_tor 11:15 13 May 2014

Based on OCRIDION's spec then how about this from PC World close to your price and plenty of 4 star reviews.

OCRIDION 14:21 13 May 2014

Wow, thats perfectly matching. Exactly the kind of price range asked for too. Good find.

Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone