which pc

  orihuela 10:34 14 Oct 2006

I have a laptop with windows xp home edition. I have decided to use it for the family as a CD player and download a few films/music on it. I now need a new desktop PC for my personal use and to connect to the laptop. My question is do I need to buy an entertainment PC. There are so many PC's available with different bits included I don't know what I need. I don't want to pay loads of money.

Can anyone suggest what I should buy?

  Mr Mistoffelees 13:49 14 Oct 2006

First up, let us know what you want to do on the new PC and what your budget is.

  orihuela 17:32 14 Oct 2006

Well, I supose what I really want to know is, if I have a laptop and a desktop pc networked (please don't think I know what I'm talking about), then do the two machines work independantly of each other?

Or, will for instance, DVD's played on the laptop be of the same quality they are now. I was wondering if I got a more powerful desktop pc if the power would be transferred to the networked laptop, or would the laptop continue to be exactly the same as it is now.

Daft question, sorry.

  [email protected] 11:48 15 Oct 2006

If you network them, the power of each computer will remain identical and they will both work independantly of each other.

All that networking does is allow you to share an internet connection and files across the two computers.

  Totally-braindead 13:00 15 Oct 2006

[email protected] has summed it up nicely, both computers will be seperate, just will be able to share files.
If you bought a more powerful desktop it will not improve the power/speed of the laptop at all. They will still remain seperate. The DVD quality on the laptop will remain exactly as it is now. No better and no worse.
Its not a daft question if you know little about computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?