Which Norton product do I buy

prince midas 11:30 11 Jan 2010

Over the years I have left Norton Internet products alone due to their previous heavy resource hogging.
But now they seem to have improved and they win all the awards.
My problem is do I go for the Antivirus or the Internet Security.
At the moment the Internet security is cheaper than the Antivirus from Norton.
Any suggestions appreciated.

oldbeefer2 11:45 11 Jan 2010

Just wondering why you want to pay when so many good programs are free? I've used Avast! and now switched to MSE - never picked up a nasty in years.

Paperplane 11:51 11 Jan 2010

"Which Norton product do I buy?"

Answer - you don't!

Like oldbeefer said, there are many free programs out there that do the job as good if not better.
Avast and AVG spring to mind.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:56 11 Jan 2010

MSE + Spyware Terminator (real time protection). Both free and with the money saved buy a 16Gb memory stick or a copy of Acronis...these will be of much more use.

G

prince midas 12:19 11 Jan 2010

At the moment I use Avast Free and Zone Alarm but I would prefer just one internet security program.
What is a good free one in your opinion or am I better stopping on what I have already got?

tigertop2 12:22 11 Jan 2010

The other posts are absolutely right I have now switched all my PCs to MSE plus the usual Spybot and Ad Aware. All work perfectly Save your money and go for a subscription to PC Advisor!

gigagiggles 14:25 11 Jan 2010

"but I would prefer just one internet security program."

Go to Norton's site, and find the 2010 trial download. While you're there, get the Norton Removal Tool.

Make sure all 3rd party security software are uninstalled. Then install and play with the (15 days?) trial. Not happy? Uninstall and then use the NRT. If happy, make some gold, prince midas, and buy your bargain "subscription". Use the purchased key to activate. Good for one year. Look for bargains again as the subscription nears expiration.

I'm using it now. It can be used as is, or you can reconfigure it to your situation. There's also a good peer-to-peer Norton forum with helpful users, along with occasional visits from Symantec employees to the forum.

It's not like the free tools will take off and not come back if you look about for alternatives. :-)

Proclaimer 17:54 11 Jan 2010

but the Internet Security 2009 (NIS 2009) version, you can get that from £15.00. When you have the key, download the NIS 2010 and use that.

Norton have decided to upgrade 2009 users to the 2010 version for whatever reason. the NIS 2010 suite is licensed for 3 pc's so if you have more than one PC this is a good solution if you want a Norton Product.

Migwell 23:53 11 Jan 2010

Awhile ago I bought a new laptop which as you would expect came with Norton installed. First job after booting the computer up was to remove Norton. As others have said free is better, like AVG and Zone alarm.

I rest my case.

Strawballs 04:03 12 Jan 2010

After doing Beta trial on Norton 360v4 I would recomending waiting untill that is released, go to the beta testing forum and read up on the remarks for it.

KremmenUK 07:04 12 Jan 2010

I agree with the NIS route. It isn't free but I'm not a fan of the free stuff having read professional reviews.

Yes they do the job, but only just apparently.

If 360v4 is another leap forward then this will likely filter through to NIS in due course. I had 360v2 for a year but found it a bit bloated for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017