Which Norton Internet Security do I choose?

longbelly 14:34 06 May 2007

My Norton Internet Security 2005 is coming up for renewal and am not sure what to do? I'm looking for the best operationally effective and no hassle solution.

Straight forward renewal is the cheapest option and would avoid possible installation problems. Norton 2005 works fine on my computer, which is Athlon 1200 with 512 MB RAM 40GB hard disc running on Windows XP SP2.

Or do I upgrade to Norton IS 2007 which is supposed to be better, but is my computer fast enough to run it without problems? .... and then there is Norton 360 which is dearer still - all going by the prices Norton themselves quote?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:44 06 May 2007

Not answering your question but why not use AVG free and Spyware terminator? Both free and will be as good if not better than Norton. They will both use little resource, both auto update and both run quietly in the background. With the money saved you could buy a 4Gb memory stick that will be able to back up all your documents.

G

Totally-braindead 14:53 06 May 2007

I agree with GANDALF <|:-)> but if you really want to stick with Norton then considering that you only have a a 1200mhz processor I would be careful what you choose as some Norton products can really slow things up dramatically on older systems.
I would wait and see what Norton users say about how resource hungry the newer Norton products are and then decide.
I like AVG free but admitadly it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Norton has but subsequently uses less resourses.
Personally, and this is only my opinion, if I felt a wanted a bought for all in one solution I would be looking at Kaspersky. But again I would have to find out how resource hungry it was.
I think Norton 360 might be a struggle on your system.

setecio 16:01 06 May 2007

This is basically a free version of Kaspersky click here?

EARLR 16:16 06 May 2007

Even the premium version is less than 20 pounds a year.
Not heavy on resources as Norton is.
Use Norton removal tool to get rid of it.

Good luck

longbelly 17:11 06 May 2007

Sounds good advice but would like to hear from Norton users before making up my mind - any out there?

EARLR 17:38 06 May 2007

But no more: Too expensive and a resource hog.

But there are other opinions.

Good Luck

Probabilitydrive 18:01 06 May 2007

Make no mistake - Norton is a good product, So, why , after 4 years do I discontinue using it?

Simply because it does its job too well! Stray a little bit from the trodden path, ie tinkering around the edges of your system, trying out some new software here and there and Norton will tell you off...and if the worst comes to the worst throw a stroppy to end all tantrums..and then what?

If you are happy with a having a product nannying many aspects of your system- Norton is fine (provided you supply your Nanny with 100 channels of Soap TV or in other words all resources your system can muster)

If, at one stage you feel adventurous and the cyber world is your oyster - follow the very knowledgeable advice of the wise folk above.

freaky 18:13 06 May 2007

Used Norton for many years and it did it's job, but rather expensive if you have 3 PC's.

Replaced Norton with Sunbelt Software Kerio Firewall, AVG and AVG AntiSpyware. Got fed up with having to check for updates etc. So bought Windows Live OneCare which cost £38 to install on all 3 PC's. It does everything automatically including backups. Excellent program and user interface....been using it since January with no problems.

darser 20:35 06 May 2007

i had norton 2005 for 2 years,now have norton2007,as soon as renewed to 2007 i had problems,doesnt matter what i do i cant get 2007 to work on all user accounts with ie7,ie7 worked fine with norton 2005 but not with 2007,been on their chatroom several times to try and resolve this but gave up,a waste of time,it works ok in my account but anybody else have got to use firefox

squillary 02:34 07 May 2007

First, Norton isn't expensive on 3 PCs simply because the 2007 license now permits usage on 3 PCs with one license. So much for that one.

Second, NIS2007 has had some significant reductions in resource usage, taking out half a dozen processes, reducing disk footprint and speeding up the rest. As such it should run easier on an old machine than older versions.

Third, in terms of quality the firewall is quantifiably better than most of the options suggested (though not all) and in its AV (though not all) and includes IDS and rootkit detection that most other suggestions don't address at all.

In terms of working with IE7 I have no problems at all, but I've heard of some conflict between its Phishing toolbar and that of IE7. Solution: chose one or the other but not both. Problem gone.

My older brother uses NIS07 on an old slow machine (possibly older and slower than the one of the OP). He found it slow, but when I directed him to a site that advises on cutting down on unnecessary Windows services he saved entire minutes at boot up and in general operation such that he now has no problems whatsoever. NIS has been measured at being 0.7% slower than AVG. If you can detect that in real-time operation you have too much time on your hands.

The big question is whether to go with NIS2007 or N360. It seems to me (but I'm really uncertain in all honesty) that N360 includes lots of features of Systemworks. IMO it's not NIS but NSW that slows down a machine due to all the real-time monitoring it does. I'd be reluctant to suggest it for a slower machine right now - not because I know its effect but because I don't know.

For User account issues, I can't comment. This is part of the NIS Add-on pack that I don't use. I'd be surprised if it didn't work, but I don't personally know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?