Which New Router...?

al7478 21:36 17 Jun 2008

Or, more specifically, what can i get for my money?

A friend and i share a net connection (he has a laptop in the next flat to me), and he wants a new router, which we're going halves on.

Perhaps surprisingly for someone who uses one tho, i have no idea what to look for, but as i have more free time the shopping has fallen to me.

We want to spend no more than about £80.00 really. Can we have the latest protocols/definitions/whatever theyre called for that money? Any specific suggestions would be greatfully recieved too.

Thanks in advance.

L8-tian 22:01 17 Jun 2008

Hi al7478,

If your ISP (internet service provider) is cable connection, choose the router "WGT624Version 3"
Wireless Super-G Firewall Router. Cost is $69.99

or WGR614 Wireless G-router. cost is $49.99

The WGT624 router supports WPA in Pre-Shared Key Mode (PSK).

If the ISP is ADSL,

here is amodel number DG834G.the price is $149.99

Hope this helps you :-)

al7478 22:41 17 Jun 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. I've googled that model number and im coming up with a Netgear DG834G for around £40.00 GBP...

tullie 14:15 18 Jun 2008

Good shopping Al,you certainly shouldent have to pay the prices quoted.

al7478 15:00 18 Jun 2008

Ha! THanks! L8-tian was quoting dollars tho, so maybe thats it...?

Would there be any advantage to spending more? The router may have a wireless or ethernet connection to some sort of music server device in future, but its on the back-burner for now.

My friend just keeps complaining about drop-outs. Personally, i think he should get his laptop looked at, as otherwise its a waste of money, but he seems resistant for wahtever reason.

We thought of one of those that looks for the strongest of 3 signals, but i would have had to have an attachment in a usb port or somesuch, and they cost a lot more, according to my local computer shop.

Any more suggestion gratefully received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?