which new HD

daisy2bell 10:33 08 Mar 2007

I will be purchasing a new HD in the very near future.
My system a Compaq Pressario, has at the moment a "160 GB SATA 7200rpm HD" installed.

What are the best ones to go for. I heard that western digital are good? Which other ones are good?
I want one that is quiet.
I have been informed by compaq, that I can go up to 250 - 300 GB.
Thanks

Totally-braindead 10:46 08 Mar 2007

Don't have a particular favourite but have had Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. All well known brands.
Something like one of these click here I presume its SATA you have and not SATA II so watch what you buy, though most SATA II drives I think are switchable to SATA though if you do buy one you'd be well advised to check this out before purchase. Remember as well that you will need a SATA cable as most drives don't come with one.

daisy2bell 12:02 08 Mar 2007

Thanks Totally-braindead

"Remember as well that you will need a SATA cable as most drives don't come with one."

Can't I just use the SATA cable from the old drive?

i put this on my presario as a second drive, bought because my local shop recommended it, plugged straight in 5 months ago never had a problem, just remember to set the jumper to slave and format with device manager

sorry, assumed you were going to use as a slave. the cable on my sr 1909 goes from the mobo to hdd and dvd and has a spare plug on it, either way, only cables i needed were this one and a spare from the psu

Fingees 13:57 08 Mar 2007

I purchased a western digital from Novatech.

Excellent value.

click here

citadel 14:06 08 Mar 2007

seagate have a 5 year warranty

daisy2bell 14:47 08 Mar 2007

Thanks guys.

Can I just use the SATA cable from the old drive?
Or do I need to buy a new one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?