which network card to buy?

spook08 18:02 03 Jun 2008

hi to all, does anybody have any suggestions of which network card would be best suitable to buy for a 'dell dimension 2400' PC running XP.

As i can only use my laptop on it's own with router (Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router) at the moment due to PC not having a network card. And have to disconnect one modem to use the other!

have seen quite a few on play.com/amazon etc but am unsure of what type would be best for the pc.

thanks for any suggestions.

Ashrich 23:15 03 Jun 2008

If you want a wired network card to fit a PCI slot then I would recommend a 3Com one , although just about any one will work .

Ashley

spook08 08:59 04 Jun 2008

thanks, just want one to be able to connect the modem, without the need for wireless on the pc presumably just leave the ethernet cable attatched to pc for that.

Nandy2 14:56 04 Jun 2008

hi,
you have netgear DG834G 54 mbps router. this router is a wireless "G" standard router.
So you can go for netgear network card.
i will give you some model numbers of "G" standard wireless network card.The model numbers are WG111 version3 --> this is a "G" USB card.
WG311 version 3--> this is "G" PCI card.
once you install this card in pc, no need for cable running between pc and modem.
Hope this will help you.:-)

spook08 16:56 04 Jun 2008

will look into those suggested.

L8-tian 18:40 04 Jun 2008

ok

Ashrich 22:30 04 Jun 2008

I think the ones suggested by Nandy 2 are for wireless , not for standard ethernet connection .

Ashley

spook08 18:40 05 Jun 2008

then if that's the one recommended for ethernet connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?