Which network cable?

My main pc runs on XP Home and is currently connected to broadband via a BT ADSL modem. I am in the process of buying a notebook running on XP Pro.
I want to set up a wired network to share the broadband connection using a Linksys AG241 4-port gateway/router/modem. The notebook already has an ethernet RJ-45 port. I intend to buy a Linksys USB 2.0 network adapter for the pc and connect both computers using ethernet cables.
This is where I'm unsure - there appear to be three different types of cable (straight, crossover and rolled). Which type do I use for the above set-up?

  keewaa 12:11 16 Nov 2005

You'd be better to buy an ethernet NIC card for the PC (£10) and avoid the USB. Straight is the correct cable (although most routers have sensors to cope with straight or crossover ... I'm not sure what rolled is)

  recap 12:11 16 Nov 2005

A crossover cable is generally used for PC to PC connection.

  britto 12:54 16 Nov 2005

you can get an own brand PC line NIC card inc cable from pcworld for 4.99 have bought 4 never any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone