Which Multifunction Please Advise

Shikaree 17:54 14 Sep 2010

Hi Folks,

Yes, it's me again seeking your Help & Advise and is always received with much appreciation.

I'm all confused in trying to choose a Multifunction Printer and have in mind one of the following:

1. Canon
2. HP
3. Kodak

I have always used LEXMARK Printers & All In Ones. I have had no problems with them. However, their Cartridges are very expensive. I do Refill the Cartridges to save money. I don't print much Photos from them but hope to do a little more in the future. I do quite a bit of Printing of Prayer Cards & Holy Cards. I wish to Print Booklets too. I do a lot of Scanning in Photos and Documents - OCR.

My budget is about £150. I'd be very grateful for any Help & Advise.

THANKS!

Shikaree

Pineman100 18:30 14 Sep 2010

The capital cost of a printer can soon be overtaken by the ongoing costs of consumables.

Kodak claim that their inks are much cheaper than other brands. I've no experience of their printers myself, but assuming that the cartridges hold about the same quantity of ink as others, the prices certainly do appear to be a fair bit cheaper than other brands.

ArrGee 18:31 14 Sep 2010

Agreed with Pineman100, look into the Kodak options.

john bunyan 18:49 14 Sep 2010

For photo quality printing, and wireless use look at Canon MP640.

Shikaree 19:17 14 Sep 2010

Hi Pineman100, ArrGee,

Thanks for your quick replies. Kodak have been in the Cameras & Photo business but have just gone into Printers. I know no body who has a Kodak Printer so it's hard to judge their product with the other two. Where ever you go, they mostly sell HP or Canon Or Lexmark. Kodak are pricier than the other two. The other two have 5/6 Cartridges (Singles). Do they hold more Ink? The truoble is, will I be able to Refill them. As I think, well they say Pigment. I have never had to change the Printheads so far with Lexmark. I believe the others you have to also change the Printheads from time to time. I'm lost.

My latest Lexmark X5470 does not print any more but I can still Scan. A friend has given me his old Lexmark Printer almost new, he has not used it much, but it has only one Cartridge - Colour - no Black Cartridge. I have to be very careful how much I use it, even with Refilling.

Shikaree 19:22 14 Sep 2010

john bunyan, hi thanks for the info. That sounds great, Wireless, but my Computer is not Wireless, no Wireless connection. I'll look it up and check the price, if within my budget.

rsignals 22:30 14 Sep 2010

Try and get one with separate cartridges for each colour - it's more economical.

john bunyan 22:38 14 Sep 2010

See here for price of Canon MP640 - has 5 seperate cartridges and you don't have to use wireless - connects via USB or ethernet cable via router.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?