Which monitor to buy?

mad-friend 23:58 06 Jan 2006

Please can someone advise me. I need to buy a new monitor. I'm looking for a flatscreen (TFT, I think, I know nothing of monitors as you can gather from my poorly worded question). I've about £150 budget and need something reliable, good quailty. I only need it for writing and photography, but mainly for writing. Your advise would be much appreciated, thankyou.

DieSse 00:17 07 Jan 2006

To be honest, at budget prices, they're all pretty much of a muchness. Get a known brand name - LG, Philips, Samsung, Benq, Acer, etc.

They all have a 3 year, mostly on-site, warranty these days. You should get a 17" one at that price point. All the specs will be much of a muchness.

Several here - all OK, and at your price. click here

If you can spring a little extra for a 19" one you'll be very pleased you did so.

PC Bilbo 11:31 07 Jan 2006

You should find a reasonable 17" within your budget

Video7, Acer, Benq & others as Diesse says - some will be multimedia at this price but I should avoid really cheap ones like Digimate who's stands always seem very wobbly.Also have a look at GNR who build for the a lot of the better known brands who badge them.I bought a 17" GNR recently with DVi and paid £155.Most (but make sure) come witha 3 yr swap out warranty.

Try here click here

hzhzhz 11:47 07 Jan 2006

A few months back my mate bought the Acer AL1714MS TFT LCD monitor for £149. He uses it with high end gaming pc. He loves it. It came from Argos.

spuds 12:37 07 Jan 2006

If you are able to visit a PC World store, then you may find that they have a good selection on demo.Have a look how each monitor appears and performs, then that could be a good starting point as to price and quality. I would suspect, that it will not be very long before some 19" are being offered at near the £100.00 mark.

mad-friend 19:00 07 Jan 2006

I'd just like to say thankyou to DieSse, PC Bilbo, hzhzhz and spuds for their advice. I feel much more confident armed with your information and should have no problem now replacing my old monitor.
Thanks everyone.

Diodorus Siculus 21:52 07 Jan 2006

If not too late, 19inch tfts are coming in at around the £160 mark:

click here

007al 22:16 07 Jan 2006

Have a look click here

spacerunneruk 14:21 08 Jan 2006

I have just bought an LG monitor/television, 17" Flatron. It fulfills both services brilliantly, especially as I have hooked up a freeview box as well.
Oh yes, the model is M1710A and is priced at £199 special offer at PCworld.

Pineman100 18:55 09 Jan 2006

I recently bought a new computer which came with a Samsung 19" flatscreen monitor. My old machine had a 17" CRT monitor. Frankly, I am very disappointed with the flatscreen - I do a lot of photo editing and it's colour accuracy is nothing like as good as the CRT was. I'm even thinking of swapping back to my old monitor!
I know that flatscreens are sexy and cutting edge, but be sure to check out your chosen one very carefully before you buy it.

DieSse 19:18 09 Jan 2006

*it's colour accuracy is nothing like as good as the CRT was.

I suspect you mean it's different. The only thing that colour accuracy can be truly compared with is the original object (and even different lighting can affect that). Not with a photograph - digital or conventional - not with a printout- not even with a memory (memory is especially colour fickle.

So how sure are you that it's not just *not what you're used to*?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?