Which Modem/Router, in basic english please

  GBL 12:25 21 Jan 2008

I have two computers, the main one is downstairs and the second upstairs. Currently only the main one is connected to the internet via a USB modem. I am with Virgin Media but NOT cable. I have read so much on this and now the mind boggles.
What do I need to connect to the internet and access it from both PC's?? Basic English please as have got lost in the minefield of information out there.

  scotty 12:52 21 Jan 2008

If you are using a standard phone line for your broadband interent connection, you need a wireless router with built-in ADSL modem. The ADSL modem part will replace the USB modem and the router part will allow other computers to connect by wire or wirelessly. The computer located near the phone socket can by connected using a network cable to the router (I am assuming that the computer has an ethernet network connection). If your second computer does not have wireless capability the simplest method to add capability is to buy a USB wireless dongle.

There are many models available but examples of what is available are:

USB dongle - click here

ADSL wireless router - click here

  GBL 13:03 21 Jan 2008

Thank you for the clear reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?