which memory sticks

jarani 21:21 10 Dec 2006

at present i use some 40 floppy disks for all my work - for security and convenience - but these are now 12 years old and becoming full and unreliable

i want to replace them with 10 or 12 reliable memory sticks holding about 250 Mb each

the question is - which should i go for and where will i find best value on line ? please - jarani

SANTOS7 21:24 10 Dec 2006

Might be a good idea to burn your work to a removable media like DvD, A. you will only need ONE B. you can password protect your files..

Totally-braindead 21:29 10 Dec 2006

Why do you need so many? 40 floppies at 1.44 mb are only 57mb and one memory stick will easily fit them all on. Personally I like Sandisk memory products but if the items are critical and irreplaceable I would also keep at least one backup.
An example click here click here

jarani 21:31 10 Dec 2006

i will use an external hard drive for backups but memory sticks will be useful jarani

jarani 21:34 10 Dec 2006

different sticks for totally different folders and files which grow independently - jarani

sean-278262 21:47 10 Dec 2006

Got a dabs value aluminium one a few months ago. Quite happy with it. 2gb for under £20 at the time but memory has gone up in price but they are great value. The Dabs ones are a little slower than more expensive branded ones I have had but it by far looks better and was a heck of a lot cheaper. An alternative suggestion I have for you is CF cards. Damn near indestructable. I remember seeing a video of a group of people showing how tough they are and ran over it in a car. Dropped it off a building and at the end of it all washed it. It worked still however they did have to use novel methods of getting the data out.

Also CF cards are cheaper in most cases. I have seen computer fairs offering batches of older ones (mixed bags of 10 chips) for £5. You could end up with anywhere from about 128mb to 512 in total.

sean-278262 21:48 10 Dec 2006

On that note PCA did the same sort of thing for the magazine about 2 years ago if I remember. However not at home so cannot trace the issue but Im sure FE probably knows considering he was able to tell someone about the weather on the day they joined up.

Totally-braindead 21:50 10 Dec 2006

If you got a card reader and used CF cards( or any other memory cards) as Creature of the Nite suggests it would be smaller to carry about. Have a look at 7dayshop if you want to consider that option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?