Which media? for burning camcorder film

daisy2bell 10:06 20 Jan 2005

I have successfully transfered some of my camcorder films onto my hard drive, and did a test burn to DVD-R which was successfull, and it played back OK on my external DVD player and that of my son's as well.
My question is, which is the best media to burn to. I.E. there is CD R, CD RW, VCD, DVD R, DVD RW etc

Thanks guys

scotty 10:23 20 Jan 2005

Early DVD players were fussy about the type of disc they would read. More recent ones usually read all formats. The main decision is whether to use DVD+R or DVD-R and the jury is out on which format is playable on most DVD players.

I tend to burn to a RW disc initially to check it is OK then copy to a R disc as these are more durable. No matter how carefully you check as you assemble your footage, you want to change something.

Just reading your post again, I suspect you have just copied MPEG files on to a DVD rather than creating an edited DVD masterpiece with menues etc. If you want to create a DVD you will need software such as Pinnacle Studio.

daisy2bell 10:30 20 Jan 2005

Thanks Scotty,

The film actualy plays back as a movie, the only thing I have not yet done is to edit it. But I believe I can do this with "InterVideo" gold, which is on my XP.

scotty 10:36 20 Jan 2005

Have never tried it but I believe Microsoft Movie Maker is included with XP which is apparently OK for editing and creating DVDs.

€dstowe 10:40 20 Jan 2005

MS Moviemaker is very basic and if you want to do anything more adventurous than just putting your holiday videos on to a disc, I suggest that you use independent software. Pinnacle Studio 9 is often recommended but, WinDVD Creator is quicker and tends to be less prone for crashing and making coasters.

The Sack 10:55 20 Jan 2005

Its also free, easy to use and offers wipes and titles. It should suffice for most people without the need for spending more money.

I have tried Studio 8 and 9 and didnt really like either to be honest, unstable and slow but that is of course just my personal opinion of it.

€dstowe 11:02 20 Jan 2005

Please re-read what I have put above, particularly the point about "anything more adventurous - - - " and my comments about the Pinnacle product where we agree, although you seem to think we are at variance.

daisy2bell 12:02 20 Jan 2005

Scotty, When you say: "I tend to burn to a RW disc initially to check it is OK then copy to a R disc as these are more durable"

Do you mean DVD RW or CD RW

Thanks

scotty 12:52 20 Jan 2005

I have only tried using DVD discs in DVD players. Capacity of DVD is 4.7GB. CD can only record 700MB which is about a sixth that of the DVD. In full quality mode a DVD will hold approximately 1 hours worth of video so you would expect to be able to record 10 minutes of video on to a CD.

In practice you can reduce the quality and get more video on a disc. You need to reduce the quality quite a bit before it becomes noticable.

€dstowe 13:42 20 Jan 2005

DVD blanks are so cheap now it isn't worth considering trying to squeeze video of any quality at all on to CDs.

We make a lot of DVDs for advertising and marketing purposes. These are commercially stamped or, on a smaller scale, on DVD-R. It is very rare that we have complaints that they cannot be read on users machines, whether they be stand alone or installed in computers. The few complaints we have had are invariably because the player is old and will not read burned (rather than commercial stamped) discs.

daisy2bell 15:43 20 Jan 2005

Thanks guys for your answers. DVD's it is then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?