Which Low profile graphics card

Jonax 19:13 14 Sep 2006

I have a dell 5150c (a small form factor case 275w psu and a pci-e slot - low profile)

I bought it thinking i wasnt going to play games on it but er now i want to. Halflife2 ran okay on the Ati x600se card but Oblivion is only just playable at the lowest settings.

Can anyone help with a solution (ideally not rebuilding my pc into a larger case)

the only card i have found is the
AOpen - Aeolus PCX6600-DV128LP
although i cant find one for sale in the uk and i dont know if my psu will cope.

Any help recommends appreciated
TIA
Jon

splatter 20:47 14 Sep 2006

Low profile PC-E cards at scan.co.uk: click here

Jonax 21:57 14 Sep 2006

Hmm thanks but i already tried scan:

Sorry but all the graphics card we have that are low profile all come with that standard height plate and as such will not fit in a low profile propriatory system such as yours.

Best Regards,

Lee
Scan Computers

Jonax 21:58 14 Sep 2006

I know that some of the back plates are removeable and emailed scan back asking for further info but so far no luck.

Jonax 22:02 14 Sep 2006

and thanks for the link (i hadnt seen that you could refine the search to only those that are low profile)

Do you think any of these will be any better than the Ati x600 i have at the moment? - Whilst I am all in favour of not spending money they seem a bit too 'good value' to run a heavy graphics game.

wolfie3000 22:08 14 Sep 2006

They might just about run the games but all depends on what games you want to play?

Halflife 2 should be ok but oblivion might struggle.

256MB XFX 7300LE TurboCache, Mem 550MHz, GPU 450 MHz, 4 Pipes, D-Sub/DVI-I PCI-E (x16) Fan Cooling

This card will be your best bet.

Jonax 22:13 14 Sep 2006

I played halflife2 on the ati card which was okay at a reasonable resolution and effects set at the middle range (glad to see new games are still made that will run well on modest PC's)

I really want to play Oblivion though...:(

splatter 22:39 14 Sep 2006

I really love the search at scan, it can allow you to be really specific when you do search.

The best card is probably the one that woolfie mentions (figures don't always mean the best card!) but in this case that would be the one I'd put my money on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?