Which Laptop works with Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 12.5 Dictation Software?

SandyNathan 20:04 10 May 2014

Hi. I have been a Mac user my entire computer life. I'm an author with 6 or so books in print; I spend a lot of time at a computer. As a result, my shoulders, wrists, and hands hurt a lot and are getting worse. I need to switch to dictation software. According to all the reviews, the Dragon software noted in the title is the best. I'll be buying it, and soon, while I can still move my arms.

The problem is: which PC? PCAdvisor's review stated the Dragon computer specs as: PC: Windows XP SP3 (32 bit only)/Vista SP2/7/8, 32/64 bit, 2.2GHz Intel or AMD dual core with 2MB L2 cache), 2GB (32 bit) 4GB (64 bit) RAM, 3.2GB HD, internet connection.

I can get some of that: I need an internet connection, stuff about memory. But what about the rest of it? I'm in California. I'll probably buy from Costco, a giant warehouse that has great prices and superb return and customer service policies. The specs I have seen in the US look like this:

HP ENVY 15t Quad Laptop | Intel Core i7 | Backlit Keyboard

Processor & Memory:

4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz
16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Drives:

1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
No Internal DVD or CD Drive

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:

15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
Intel HD Graphics

Communications:

802.11b/g/n WLAN
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)  
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone

Audio:

Beats™ audio

Keyboard:

Backlit Keyboard

Ports:

4x SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1x HDMI
1x Headphone out/ Microphone-in combo jack
Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader

Power Supply:

6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
65W AC adaptor

That seems pretty comprehensive, but doesn't say things like: PC: Windows XP SP3 (32 bit only)/Vista SP2/7/8, 32/64 bit, 2.2GHz Intel or AMD dual core

My question is: what computer (a model and mfg.name would be nice) fits those specs? Does the one shown above work? I will use a separate keyboard and mouse and have it support Word and Scrivener. We may be dealing with a UK/US language convention difference.

Any help would be most appreciated.

mole1944 06:43 11 May 2014

Look on Amazon they do a mac version, On the mac there is a dictation program that is free yes i did say FREE, Google it to find how to set it up there saved you money, oh there is one in windows for us windows users as well. Hope your aches and pains mend and hope this helps.

hastelloy 08:40 11 May 2014

The Dragon software is not perfect and not always easy to use. As said mac has built in speech recognition software. So do W7 and W8.

wiz-king 10:11 11 May 2014

Your laptop should be OK as it will run on W7 and W8. The most important thing is not to skimp on training the program to recognise your voice. I found that I felt an idiot talking to my computer! Also it will type any comments you make - say yes please to a cup of copy and it will type it.

SandyNathan 18:22 11 May 2014

Thanks wiz-king, marvin42 and mole1944. I'll study your responses. I just put the latest Mavericks operating system on my iMac so I could use the Dictate feature. Mavericks was a total disaster. Crashes all the time. I can't get into the file containing ALL my writing.[That's VERY serious. I've got about ten books on it.] Mail is a problem. The free dictation program is horrible. I will now give you a demo: No, I won't do a demo. The dictation deal won't come up. The fellow who maintains my computer says, "It's great You'll love it." No, it's terrible.

Here it is. A demo: Hi everyone Sandy needs you don't max see each call I'll see you into UK so I can think.

That's the free Mac program, which "doesn't require training." And can't be trained. I'd put the Dragon version for Mac in this computer, but all the reviews say it's better than the free version, but not enough for me.

I think I'll try the Dragon Premium. My hands hurt so much I need to move on this NOW. Won't bother me at all to talk to my computer. Doesn't involve typing.

Thanks, all. I appreciate your concern. Ditto from my hands.

mole1944 05:39 12 May 2014

You should have backed up your book and any other data as your now finding you up poo creek without a possible paddle,golden rule backup backup backup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?