Which laptop and/or company.

gengiscant 15:34 03 Feb 2010

I have narrowed my choice of laptop to one of these five.

Acer Aspire 7540G
click here

Acer Aspire 7535G
click here

Acer Aspire 5738G
click here

Acer Aspire 5740
click here

Dell studio 15 (£549)
click here

This is my first laptop purchase, being a desktop builder for some years now, so am looking for a reasonably powerful one with a half decent graphics card. I am of course open to any other suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 03 Feb 2010

Not Acer

Just search the forum to see the number of Acer laptop problems, cracking screens, won't boot past BIOS and no end other problems. :0(

mooly 19:20 03 Feb 2010

Why not Acer ?
Most issues are self inflicted... treat it well and all. They seem to be a brand that many like to tweak and play around with rather than just leaving it be.
Must admit I have been absolutely delighted with mine, now over three year old... and it's been faultless... and it gets several hours use a day.

I'm not saying they are perfect, and I do treat it with respect...

Other brands... I've no experience, but have been looking at MSI (Argos) as it seemed to offer good value. I asked on this forum too,
click here

john bunyan 19:29 03 Feb 2010

Like you I am looking at laptops. My local, very helpful, PC repair guy says Toshiba and Asus (not Acer) are the easiest for him to repair..always a consideration.

Peter Lanky 19:49 03 Feb 2010

Having looked for a new laptop for some time, I considered that the best value for the specification was Dell Vostro, but only if you search carefully, look for regular 'deals', avoid upgrades and use any valid discount codes.

I've heard negative remarks about the customer service, but then the cynic in me thinks that MOST customer service in this industry is well below par.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone