Which Laptop Do I Need

ChrisBas 19:56 02 Dec 2006

I'm at university and looking for a laptop which will be capable of running engineering drawings on Autocad software and word processing. I also would like to watch the odd DVD movie and use the internet. I'm wanting something which won't date so much and will be easily ungradable. It also needs to be quite robust. I've looked at Apple, Thinkpads & Sony but dont want to buy the wrong laptop as it needs to last me at least 3 yrs. I have £1000ish budget maybe a little more for the right one. Your help is most appreciated.

sean-278262 20:19 02 Dec 2006

Upgradable and laptops doesnt go in the same sentence. Usually it is the ram and the hard drive and that is all.

click here

That would be an ideal laptop to suit your needs with its large screen, reasonable graphics. And the £70 saved could buy you another gig of ram to make it really fly. For the course you are doing screen size is more important than anything else.

However do consider you could get a more upgradable desktop for your money that would be even better. Laptops while portable still have the same amount of cables. Mine here has 5 USB leads, speakers and all manner of other things that are in and out all the time. It is more untidy than a desktop.

Jake_027 20:39 02 Dec 2006

click here

Fujitsu Siemens on laptops direct are excellent value. That Will run very fast, and you ccould even buy a three year insurance policy click here and still have money left.

Jake

ChrisBas 20:50 02 Dec 2006

Thanks but I already have a desktop but require a laptop too. I have never heard of Acer are these a good make?? and the batery life is a bit off putting at 1.5 hrs so I may need a smaller screen. Also any advice on a good hardcase?
Chris.

Jake_027 21:16 02 Dec 2006

Acer are often recommended as a good make and are excellent value for money. Which laptop states 1.5 hours by the way? For cases try Targus click here From what I've heard they are solidly built. However, if you can get a backpack, walking round with a bag screams "steal me"!

Jake

Belatucadrus 21:23 02 Dec 2006

click here for the system requirements if you are taking advantage of the new conceptual design capabilities in your course you're going to need a load of memory.

ChrisBas 07:01 03 Dec 2006

Jake the Acer Aspire 9802WKMi has a 1.5 batery life. Thanks Belatucadrus for the CAD advice. Any more choices would be much appreciated.
Chris.

ChrisBas 18:55 06 Dec 2006

I have found a HP laptop at PC World for £1200 which seems ok. Does anyone have or recommend the HP range? Are the Exteme or Pegasus laptops better?
Thanks Chris.

RPM1975 19:08 06 Dec 2006

You will probably get a far better product for your money going on the web and as far as Acer are concerned, I have the Aspire 5602WKMi 120HDD, 1GB DDR2 large screen etc etc from Laptops Direct and have had no probs. Probably get the one I have for about £600squid now leaving plenty for software, insurance and perhaps the odd round of drinks.

GEEKSTA 19:11 06 Dec 2006

1000£ should be enough for a excellento laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?