Which laptop?

Georgie68 23:07 04 Jul 2007

I want to get my wife a laptop purely for playing The Sims 1, Ebay and email. I have around £500 to spend and wondered what would be my best buy?

scolley 03:26 05 Jul 2007

Samsung's R series laptops are slim and user- friendly. The R20 isn't as heavy as we'd expected at just 2.4kg, but it remains a sturdy and serious- looking laptop. The all- black interior appears modern and stylish,although susceptible to fingerprints,and lacks hot keys,

Consideringits modest price £499 inc vat we were surprised at the quality of the R20's glossy 1,280x800 14.1in screen, which displayed deep colours and a good level of contrast. Sansung has opted for an ATI Radeon Xpress 1250m grphics card; video playback is noticeably even and of ahigh quality.

Vista Home Premium runs well on the R2, as proven by its respectable 59 Worldbench real world speed benchmark points.The 1.73GHz Intel Core Duo T2250 offers an acceptable amount of power and is backed up by 1GB of DDR2 RAM and a80 gb hard drive.

Th trackpad on the R20 is small but easy to use, featuring a scrolling panel- and though the shiny plastic keysbelow are quite small, we found them user-friendly. The palm rest and keypad incorporate Silver Nano Technology to prevent the the attraction of bacteria and we were impressed by the R20's sturdy lid clasps.

The software bundle is simple, with Magic Doctor and Cyberlink DVDprovided along with Samsung AV Statio a multimedia application for playing music and movies and viewing images. There are three USB ports- one more than the R20's pricier sibling. Wewere pleased to see a AGA port, along with a generous six in onecard reader and bluetooth. We did notice the lack of 802.11a wirelesss and webcam, but the R20 earns its stripes none the less.

PC ADVISOR recommended, build 4****
performance 3***half
value 4****
overall4****

Take a look at click here
hope this as helped its one of the ones tested in the pc advisor july 2007

umbongo(uk) 10:12 05 Jul 2007

these are the sims 2 specs to play the game the first are the lowest
the second set are the recomended set for best gaming

the original sims are a lot less but if you stick to getting a laptop with these in miind she will be able to play the second edition without a hitch
web browsing/emails dont take much out of a system so any laptop would do for that//i still use an old 133mhz for such a job/
but gaming is a different matter

800 MHz P3 processor
256 MB RAM if Windows XP
128 MB RAM if Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

2.0 GHz processor
256 MB RAM if Windows XP
128 MB RAM if Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

the link provided is just to show what specs you should be looking for
click here

Georgie68 11:51 05 Jul 2007

Thanks for the information - I feel better armed to shop now, knowing roughly what to look for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?