Which Laptop?

Hetti 13:28 07 Jul 2006

I'm considering buying a laptop, and I thought as I really have no idea as to which would best suit my needs I would ask here for some advice, it would be mainley used for surfing the net maybe a small amount of photos, I will be paying about £400 maybe a little more.
Is there any new technology in the pipeline? if so I might hang on till it is available.

Thanks in advance.

rmcqua 14:14 07 Jul 2006

You're not going to get any new technology for £400, I'm afraid, but you should be able to find something to suit your needs. Have a look at this:
click here

26trouble 08:33 08 Jul 2006

click here

or dabs.co.uk

look at the NEC M5410 and M5210. I just payed £433 for the 5410 from laptopshop, just arrived on Thursday and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Fast, quiet, smart....ahhh I am so proud of my new toy... Anyway the 5410 has a Pentium M processor, 512mb memory and 60G harddrive for £433.

The 5210 is cheapest on dabs and is £379 for celeron processor with 256mb memory and 40gb hard drive.

Mine was a panic purchase because my PC died completely on Monday but I needed something fast!

Taff™ 09:38 08 Jul 2006

click here I`ve bought three of these in the past fortnight and they are excellent value. Over 2 hours battery life, Free Vodaphone 3G datacard (PAYG is expensive but in an emergency OK) DVD Dual Layer.

I would recommend doubling the memory which would cost an extra £45 installed. Delivery (Included) is normally next day by City Link (Don`t bother paying any extra for it)

Hetti 11:58 10 Jul 2006

Just a bit of advice before i make my purchase, can anyone advise me as to the battery i should be looking for on a laptop? Im confused as to the types which is best Ni-MH, LI-on, NI-Cam ect.
Also doe's the battery get used if you are at home with the laptop pluged into mains? (prob a silly question):>)

Taff™ 09:19 11 Jul 2006

Battery technology is moving on fast but the important thing to ask is what the battery life is. Different processor/battery combinations seriously affect battery life. If you intend to use the laptop on the move you need at least two hours normal working out of the battery. Watching a DVD for example will drain a battery much quicker.

Plugging in the laptop to the mains will charge the battery automatically and when it`s fully charged it should cut the battery out. There`s a lot of debate about whether running the laptop permanently on the mains ruins the life expectancy of the battery - some recommend removing the battery if you do this for prolonged periods.

The laptop I recommended has a battery life of about 2 hours although Acer claim slightly more. Be careful because some of the Laptops around your price mark only claim a 1 hour battery life and over a couple of years use this can drop dramatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?