Which internet security software?

I have a new laptop which has a trial of Bullguard running on it. To buy it at the end of the trial is just under £50 for one year. I have seen Kapersky for under £20 for one year and Norton for £30.
I run Norton on another laptop and also a PC but I find it fairly slow and also there are a few clashes with other things. I know there are also free options but on this forum I was advised to buy rather than go for the free AVG (for example).
Has anybody used kapersky and is it likely to be a problem taking off Bullguard?
Thanks!

Sparkly 08:42 11 Mar 2009

Hi Debe i have been useing KIS for the last 6 months and i like it a lot allso got it free from online banking with Barclays they still are offering it if you bank with them. Revo will remove any trace for you but follow the instructions to delete only the bold entrys shown to you. Allso you can get KIS here if you are a student or have family at a reduced rate.

click here

click here

skidzy 08:45 11 Mar 2009
  kalignorgna 09:10 11 Mar 2009

click here for the AV comparatives web site then check out comparatives 19 and 20 for a full list.

I am using kaspersky at the moment version 6 since i got it free with my motherboard for a year :-). the only problems I have had is it sometimes detects game files as virus for some reason but once you allow the file the program runs fine (only had this with a few games)

Thanks both of you :)
I have bought from Sparkly's link one before and that is where I'll buy again !
Thanks for the link to Revo will download that for both laptops and PC!

birdface 09:15 11 Mar 2009

[ I was advised to buy rather than go for the free AVG (for example).]Are you maybe getting your Forums mixed up.
So far I cannot remember any threads where buying was recommended rather than free.
There was always a well balanced opinion that slightly more would recommend the free versions or use the free versions than the pay for versions.
If you are going to pay you want the best and price should not matter.
Nod 32 [Esset] is supposed to be the best but remember no one Security Suite will protect you 100% you will also need Spywareblaster.+ Malwarebytes or Superantispyware or A Squared for added protection.

Buteman, I'm afraid cost does matter to me which is why I asked the question! The advice that I was given was from Diese and it was,
"I don't recommend you to change to AVG free - it's protection is below that of other free packages - as they fairly enough do show on their webpage comparing their free version with the paid version."
There was then a link to substantiate the comments.
I will look at al the other progs that you recommend as well- thank-you.

birdface 09:44 11 Mar 2009

Yes he does not recommend AVG because it does not protect you from rootkits I think.I use it but I preferred the 7.5 version.
There is always Avast or Avira.Avast being the most popular.
Security Suites are fine as long as you have back up security programs that will help safeguard your computer.

lakeman 10:02 11 Mar 2009

as an addition to sparklys suggestion if you bank with hsbc you get mcafee free for a year

Andsome 10:36 11 Mar 2009

Personally I would NEVER let anything to do with Norton anywhere near to my computer again. I strongly recommend Nod32 security suite from ESET. It is always in the top rankers in the Virus bulletin surveys. A main advantage also to UK users is that in addition to e mail support, there is also telephone support available.

mooly 11:00 11 Mar 2009

I use FSecure internet security 2009 on a laptop. Third year with FS, find it excellent, option to full scan for rootkits as well as real time scanning. Own firewall etc. It was under £20 from Amazon when I bought it, thats for the full retail boxed version 3PC license. It works silently, updates every couple of hours... can't praise it highly enough.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017