Which internal DVD for my Toshiba laptop?

Salamander7 18:45 07 Apr 2015
Answered

I just bought a Toshiba laptop for a very good price but it has no DVD/CD drive and I would like to fit one if at all possible. The model of laptop is:

Toshiba Satellite C50-B-14D.

Does anyone know what model of internal drive I need and who would supply it?

Many thanks in advance

northumbria61 11:39 08 Apr 2015

Beta & Salamander7 - it is a lot cheaper at E-Buyer

northumbria61 11:41 08 Apr 2015

The above link is for one I bought last year when it was £28

Salamander7 12:00 08 Apr 2015
Answer

Thanks Northumbria but I wanted to purchase a unit I could fit into the case. I have found one on ebay and ordered it. When it arrives I will fit it and then see if there is any issues with BIOS, drivers etc. The existing case has a plastic DVD player shaped cover where the DVD would have been. Inside the case all the connections are in place so I thought all I would need would be the internal DVD/CD player burner.

Thanks to Beta who provided info for the model of DVD burner required. This topic is now closed for te time being until the unit arrives and then I will post to say if the install was a success.

Salamander7 15:26 10 Apr 2015

Latest update.

I got the recommended DVD unit from ebay for around £13 and it works.The problem is it does not quit fit properly: the bezel is sunk about 6mill into the edge of the laptop so it does not look good and there is potential for dirt/dust ingress. I was wondering if is possible to get hold of some sort of adapter so I could plug the dvd player into the laptop mother board but have flexibility to move it so it fits better. The DVD unit is SATA and it attaches straight to the mobo, there is no cable. The connection seems to be power and sata though I am not sure if it is standard like on a cable. Maybe someone who is more familiar with laptop innards will know the answer. Otherwise I'm gonna have to admit defeat and send the DVD back from whence it came.

Salamander7 17:27 10 Apr 2015

Guilty!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone