Which Intel Core 2 Duo chip - E6400 or E6600?

IT Phobic 20:19 29 May 2007

I'm looking to buy a new PC mainly for use with Microsoft Office. I want it to be easily capable of dealing with programs such as Quark Express and Dreamweaver in the future. I won't use it for gaming, but I want it to be a fast machine.

My computer supplier advised me to buy a E6400 Intel Core 2 Duo processor which is 2.13 GHz and has L2 Cache of 2M. I think I would be better buying a E6420 (also 2.13 GHz) or E6600 (2.40 GHz) which both have an L2 Cache of 4M. Although I was recommended the E6400, the way the salesman described it, I would be better off with the E6400 or E6600 because of the increased Cache.

The salespeople make me feel like I'm making a fuss about nothing. Does the L2 Cache affect the speed of the computer, or is it the clock speed alone that I should be concerned about? Can anyone give me some impartial advice? Thank you.

howard64 21:57 29 May 2007

firstly with a core2duo the cores each run quite slowly - I was suprised when I got my e6300 each core runs at something like 1.8GHz. I was used to an AMD 4200 where it ran at quite a good speed. The core2duo comes into its own when you are multitasking it can do 2 things much faster than a single core can. When software becomes available for 2 and 4 cores things will speed up. If you are doing a single task you will not notice much difference from a pc from a couple of years ago.

skidzy 22:11 29 May 2007

Go for the E6600 2.4 If you can afford this.

I have the E6300 1.8 and got to say it flies.I tinker with a few videos/dvds and a little photo editing.
My last system was a p4 2.6 , the new system knocks spots off the p4.

I am Spartacus 22:24 29 May 2007

I've got the E6600 and overclocked it (easily) to 3.1Ghz with the standard heatsink and fan and it flies (as skidzy says) through video rendering. I would guess that the other versions will easily overclock too.

I wouldn't normally bother with overclocking but it's so easy with these and for a very little rise in temperatures.

IT Phobic 09:49 30 May 2007

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.

Can anyone explain what the difference is between an L2 Cache of '2' and '4', in terms of speed/performance?

I think that's the one major thing left that's confusing me.

citadel 10:08 30 May 2007

l2 cache is a resovoir where frequently used data is stored for fast access so more is better. the new intel penryn processors are going to have even more.

Quiet Life 13:16 30 May 2007

Size of L2 cache makes a big difference. skidzy is right go for the E6600.
One of the reasons Celerons were so poor was the very small L2cache compared with Pentiums

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?