Which hard drive approach is better

je-haz 22:52 04 Oct 2009

Hi.

I have 2 hard drives, the first one is for windows and apps, and the 2nd one is for data.

Yesterday my 2nd hdd stopped working, so I have bought a new mega-fast one.

Since the new drive is so fast and big, I am considering just using this drive, partioning it into 2 and using it for the OS/apps drive also.

Obviously this means the OS will boot up faster, but will the system be slower in general use? i.e. if I run an app from c:\ that is using data on d:\, will it be slower than if the 2 disks were physically seperate?

or is it better to stick with having the slower drive for windows and my apps, and the new fast one just for my data? (I dont care about drive failure issues - I keep regular backups externally).

Thanks,
James

howard64 06:28 05 Oct 2009

the possibility is that the whole system will be governed by the slower speed. If it was me I would install the new drive and remove the older one[s]. The old stuff could be used in caddies as and when wanted.

DieSse 08:44 05 Oct 2009

Use the faster drive for Windows and apps, and the old one for data.

The old drive won't slow the new one down - they'll each operate at the maximum that's possible on your system.

The Windows drive will actually be working much more/harder than the data drive, so that's the better one to have on the faster drive.

je-haz 09:30 05 Oct 2009

i cant use the new drive for windows and the old onw for data because the old drive is only 320gb. its enough for the OS and apps - but not enough for my photos/videos/music.

So I have to use the new drive for everything, or my old drive for windows and my new drive for data.

Looks like I should be using the new drive for everything then? But will this be slower than using 2 seperate drives? i.e. for data transfer between the drives?

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?