Which graphics card should I buy?

Forum Editor 19:37 31 May 2007

Further to my previous thread

click here

which I clicked as resolved. It now appears that it's not resolved at all. My client is determined to play 'Rome Total War' but he's discovered that his card simply isn't going to do it, and he's buying a new one. He's not inclined to spend a fortune, but he wants to be absolutely sure that the card he gets will run the game - the rest of the computer's configuration is OK.

We're not talking PCI Express here, the card must be AGP, so the question to you gaming experts is, which one should he go for?

Your advice will be much appreciated - what I know about computer gaming could be written in large letters on a postage stamp.

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:40 31 May 2007
  Arthur Scrimshaw 19:46 31 May 2007

as well. It checks out the surrent system against the spec of the game. Your client's game is listed.
click here

wolfie3000 19:58 31 May 2007

click here

This will work.

wolfie3000 20:02 31 May 2007

Drivers and other downloads for the card i mentioned,

click here

wolfie3000 20:09 31 May 2007

just out of interest, what graphicws card is he using at the moment?

Im guessing hes using on board.

brainstorm 20:53 31 May 2007

I'm fairly new to this so do tell if I'm breaching protocol and should be starting a new thread.

However,I need to replace my AGP graphics card, but do not need one for gaming purposes as the pc is generally used for net surfing, photographs, video, and word documents. What spec would I need? Its an Evesham pc - would I be best going back to them?

I was expecting to pay over a hundred pounds (thats what PC World staff advised - thankfully they were out of stock), but see one of the links above quoting around £35 so thought I should ask a wise man before I get ripped off!

Forum Editor 00:47 01 Jun 2007

He's got a Geforce 6200, and it won't run the game. At least it will, but the screen is half red and half pink all the time.

Research has indicated that the card isn't compatible with the game.

Totally-braindead 01:21 01 Jun 2007

The 6200 is rather an old card these days as I'm sure you will appreciate FE its better than onboard graphics of course but well below a lot of todays games. Depending on price I would be looking at at least a 7600GS £69 click here or a bit better and therefore a bit more futureproof a 7600 GT for £92 click here the best AGP card out there(for the money) probably has to be the ATI X1950 Pro at £142 click here but its a bit OTT just for this game, the 7600GT would be my choice. Heres some others as well click here
I have the 7600GS although its PCI Express and so far it has played everything with all detail on as long as I keep the resolution at 1024x768. If I wanted to run it at higher resolutions it might struggle.
So my vote moneywise would go to the 7600GS, do please get him to check his power supply though, whatever he gets will need more juice and if his power supply is not at least 450 watts it might need replaced as well.
Wolfie knows more about games than I do but the 9550 is very old, if he says it'll run it then I can't argue and that card I don't think needs more power so power supply should not be an issue. But if your client plays anything else it might not have enough umph.

another vote for the 7600 series, a great card at a good price.

baldtaco 13:38 01 Jun 2007

3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
ATI® Radeon 8500
ATI® Radeon 9000
ATI® Radeon 9500
ATI® Radeon 9600
ATI® Radeon 9700
ATI® Radeon 9800
All nVidia® GeForce 3 and higher

[loud]*Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War™. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.[/loud]
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone