which free firewall for XP

sunny staines 17:10 21 Jun 2007

In the event of norton not being able to fix a problem with my norton liveupdate failing to install updates i will be looking for a new firewall.

had zonealarm once before never again on that one.

not keen on xp firewall

one that is easy to understand/configure but also effective.

open to suggetions.

Technotiger 17:15 21 Jun 2007

I recommend Kerio personal firewall - now known as Sunbelt Personal Firewall. I use the paid-for version, but there is also a free version.

birdface 17:20 21 Jun 2007

I agree with Technotiger. Kerio Firewall, click here Full version for a month and if you don't want to pay it reverts to the free version ,Download in simple mode and you get no pop-ups

Stuartli 17:20 21 Jun 2007

You may not like ZA (free in my case), but I've been using it for more years than I care to remember and I've never had a problem with it.

As with anything else it merely requires to be properly configured and the True Vector Service being Enabled in Windows Services.

sunny staines 17:28 21 Jun 2007

stuartli

i am going back a couple of years it corrupted the whole laptop had to format and reinstall afterwards, I wait and see which firewall pops up most recommended after a few more posts.

thanks for the advice.

sunny staines 17:29 21 Jun 2007

technotiger \ buteman

does kerio auto update on the free version?

Technotiger 17:32 21 Jun 2007

I use the paid-for version, so cannot comment on the free version. In any case, I still recommend the free version. Set it and forget it - unlike ZA!

birdface 19:02 21 Jun 2007

I use the free version, And automatically check for up-dates is ticked.

brundle 19:07 21 Jun 2007

Just as an aside, Kerio in simple mode only checks incoming traffic.
click here

birdface 19:20 21 Jun 2007

Sunny Staines is only looking for a Firewall that is easy to understand.There is none easier, You are right it only check's incoming Traffic.But is there an easy one that covers both.I like it because of the easy way it runs,No pop-ups wanting you to accept or deny programs,I must admit I am not to clever with computers and this one is great for me,I have tried the rest,But to me kerio was the best.None easier.

Mac70 19:23 21 Jun 2007

I prefer Comodo.
click here
Does the job of ZA easy to use and doesnt slow startup like ZA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?